Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had a rebuilt carb put on my 1975 F100 with a 390 with only about 1000 miles on the engine. The carb is made by Motorcraft. It starts and Idles perfect, but when I put it in drive and hit the gas it hesitates and sometimes dies on me in the middle of the road. If I press the gas very slow it will go. Is it getting to much of a shot of gas?

Can any one help, I have no Idea about carbs and I wouldn't know were to start.

Thanks David

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Sounds like the accelerater pump is not squirting any gas. Shut the engine off, take the air cleaner off, open the choke plates and watch as you open the throttle. Do you see an gas being squirted? If not, then figure out why the acc pump isn't working. Could be a simple as a check ball left out during rebuild.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will check to see if it's getting gas. How hard is it to remove the accelerater pump and what is it? Sorry

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
It has been a long time since I have worked on a Motorcraft carb and can't tell you the time, but overall, it isn't that dificult to change. It is advisable to remove the carb from the engine to make the change if you have to disassemble/remove the top of the carb.

It could also be as simple as the linkage not hooked to the pump.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
you can possibly take it from the other carb. Places like NAPA ought to have a pump without having to buy the kit.

·
Registered
237 Posts
in case you didnt already, check to make sure all vaccum ports are connected and or pluged if not used. a vaccum leak give similar results as the one you described.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts