Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some advice. I can't get the motor in my '63 falcon to idle ... at all! Have tried two different carbs (holley 600 & edelbrock 600) and both exhibit the same problem. Car starts with choke closed on fast idle and runs seemingly fine. When I kick it down after a bit the motor will not hold an idle and will die. It only keeps running if i pump the throttle which to me indicates that it is running off the accelerator pump "squirts".... otherwise it dies out after a few seconds. Both carbs have been rebuild, floats set according to the guidelines and mixture set per initial instructions. Any suggestions on where to go next???

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
Check for vacuum leaks. Timing

·
Registered
238 Posts
Points! adjust your points! i think i had the same goofy problem with my 63. i thought it was timing and carb but turned out the points needed to be adjusted properly. give it a shot and let us know!

good luck

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the ideas. Right now I'm running down the vacuum leak suggestion and will let you know how it comes out. I'm running a Petronix ignition so I don't think the points thing is the problem.

·
Registered
10,342 Posts
I'm running a Petronix ignition so I don't think the points thing is the problem.
It can be if you are not bypassing the pink ignition resistor wire. Easy to verify - clip a jumper wire direct from the battery or starter relay battery post to the PerTronix RED wire. If it runs better, re-do the wiring to bypass the PINK resistor wire under the dash. PerTronix do not like low the lower voltage from resistors. That said - it's still most likely a vacuum or possibly timing issue.

David

EDIT: To be clear - only the PerTronix module (assuming a PerTronix-I) will get full BAT voltage - the coil still needs the resistor. The other P-II and P-III versions use no resistor anywhere.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts