Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hallo,
Now I am driving my stang.
If I drive at about 70mph and open the secondarys it suck a bit and then accelerate somewhat normaly and if I open the secondarys slow , the car accelerat normaly withot any problem.
The carb is a 600 Edelbrock vac sec.(1605)?
the engine is
351 w
10 comp ratio
ported 302 heads with small chamber
RPM intake
dont know the specs of the cam but know it was in a heavy vehicle (LTD) and prefered for more torque.

I dont fnow If the carb match that other parts by jetting or is it better to look for a bigger one like a Holley 750 DP. ??

·
Registered
38 Posts
robbi, the 1405 and 1406 carbs are a bit lean out of the box. try part # 1455 metering rods and the lite pink springs that should get you very close

·
Registered
330 Posts
I've got a 1406 Edelbrock, but my problem is the opposite of yours. Mine hesitates at acceleration from a stop light. It also does not like being in drive while waiting at a light. I think it needs to be re-jetted. But seeing how I just spent 90 bucks on re-jetting a POS street avenger, I think I will live with it 4 now. It is still 10X better than the holley!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Robbi, hatte ähnliche Probleme, mit gleichem Vergaser, RPM intake, RPM heads, bei meinem 302.
Über Winter hab ich umgedüst, erste kurze Tests waren recht vielversprechend. Die nächsten Tage melde ich an und dann weiß ich mehr.

·
Registered
38 Posts
have the carb set up to the engine mods, I recently had my edelbrock tuned for my application and the diffrence is remakable.
1970 351w wolverine wg-1088 cam, ported polished heads roller rockers. etc. the car runs great use it for my daily driver
1970 galaxie

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hallo Ron,
do you have an 600cfm also ?

I will set it like flord prefered.
then I will see what happens

To LEX,
Nice to meet German People here,
I am from Essen (NRW).
I am also at http://www.dr-mustang.de ,
my username there is "Robert Redford".

You guys here have the most experience about Ford and I am glad to meet this forum , thanks Jim L.

Robbi

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Robbi on 3/23/02 12:20am ]</font>

·
Registered
237 Posts
make sure you have no vaccum leaks and all the vaccum ports not in use are plugged and the ones in use are connected properly with no leaks

·
Registered
51 Posts
<font color="blue">Robbi, wenn Sie einen toten Punkt haben, wenn Sie versuchen, beschleunigen, dann das carb ist gehendes Mageres. Die Halteseile sind korrekt, ist 600 ein kleines carb für 351W. Try richen es oben und sehen wenn dieses Hilfen. Gutes Glück! </font>

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello Robbi,
in the afternoon, after the rain stopped, I was takeing the chance for the first ride this year.
Its much better now with a richer carb. May be its too much now (check it with the next fuelstop), I will play a little with other rods and jets. http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/eps_1404.html

My problem now is looseing oil, in the area of the
old hole from the former dip stick in the block. I put a screw in it, but it looks like, still spraying out at higher rpm. Hope its not something else!

By the way, I`m from Paderborn
Best regards

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Lex on 3/23/02 5:17am ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Lex on 3/23/02 5:18am ]</font>

·
Registered
136 Posts
I had the same issue with my edelbrock 1405. I love the carburetor, it has a number of advantages over a Holley, I won't talk about that here though.

I do not think there is a cure for the bog you have when you open the secondaries quickly. I think that this problem is inherent in the design of the carburetor. There is no secondary accelerator pump, therefore the engine receives more air than fuel momentarily when the the secondaries are opened quickly, thus causing a lean bog. The secondary air valve design is interesting, basically a weight is attached to the valve as vacuum increases, the air overcomes the force of the weight and the valve opens. A heavier weight on the valve could cure this problem, but would probably cause many more problems.

I have spent hours tuning this carb, not because it was hard, but because I enjoyed working with it. I may be wrong and it would be great to hear if there is a cure for this problem.

I recently put a Bigg's 650 dp on the car. Now I have 2 great carbs and I will be them comparing at the track and on the dyno.

·
Registered
73 Posts
66coupe, I hope you have a very good report for the Bigs 650 dp since that what I'll be putting on my 351w. Did you get the Stage 3 or Stage 5? I ended up going with the HP Stage 5, and since it's several hundred dollars more than the edelbrock, I'm hoping you'll say it's worth it. Lie if you have to cause that extra $300 could have gone somewhere else!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 67stang351 on 3/23/02 11:59am ]</font>

1 - 11 of 11 Posts