Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im getting ready to fire up my motor (289). Just put some TFS TWs, XE268, and a Stealth intake on it.

Should I mess with the carb before I try to start it? Its a Carter 625 AFB that was setup pretty well before, when it only had a mild cam and headers.

Or just leave it alone?

I just dont want anything to go wrong when I break in the cam.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Just make sure there is gas in it and the timing is set up as close as possible. You want it firing on the first turn off the key. If it doesnt start within 3 seconds, shut it down and find out why. The carter should be okay I think, just fill the bowl with gas or dump gas down it. Just my .002

Good luck.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I agree here , if it was set up pretty well before it should be fine at startup, just be sure its got gas and if possible us a remote starter switch so you can stand right at the engine when you fire it up, you see things very quickly that way,

·
Registered
74 Posts
I would go ahead and fire it up with that carb,but if you want more performance go with a 600 or 650 holley carb!!!Preferrably a double pumper if you have the right gears and converter!!!

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just put the moly that came with the cam on it. Do you just toss the EOS in with the oil? I think Ill do that.

I'll wear some sort of Ford shirt to the GM dealer too

1964 Comet 289 C4 daily driver
"These go to 11." -This is Spinal Tap

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dragman64 on 1/18/02 1:50pm ]</font>

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
Wear the "Your Honda Sucks" T-shirt instead. Then everybody is happy and that also breaks the Ford/Chevy barriers too.

Start it with that carb on it but with the idle speed screw turned in to raise the idle a bit. Then once it's fired and running, try to richen the idle air/fuel mixture screws so it runs cooler and runs smoother during the break in period. Once it has run over 2500RPM for 20 minutes or so, shut it off and totally let it cool till morning(a good 8-10 hours) and it should be broken in correctly and ready to rumble.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts