Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok got everything ready to go today, and fired the motor. first try fired right up! idled for a little then it shut off. so i figured my timing was off played with it a little and couldn t get it to fire. then i noticed the down leg boosters were steadily dripping gas down the carb! so i readjusted the needles and it stopped. tryied to fire it again and now the secondaries drip buit i can t get them to stop! kept trying to start, held it wo cause it was flooded and it sputtered then back fired out the carb and caught everything on fire! got it out, (whew good thing i m a fire fighter and thought it would be a good idea for a extinguisher!) so i pulled the carb everything seems cool what could be wrong to much fuel press. it is just a cheap summit chrome pump. please help it is ready to run and now this is holding me up!

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
If your needles are set right, you might have too much fuel pressure pushing fuel past the seats. Are you running a regulator? What kind of fuel pump (electric/mechanical)? You might also have some stuck floats which can happen if the carb has been sitting for any amount of time and varnish has built up.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well it is a mech pump, no regulator yes it has been sitting. after i took it off the last time to rebuild the motor i redid the carb but it sat for about a year. i took it apart today but everything seems free. the floats work good the needles are free. they are also new. what should i do? try a regulator? what psi should it run at? maybe try a gauge and see what it is at.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Take the fuel bowls off both sides.

Turn the bowl upside down and adjust the floats till they are parralel with the bowl body. This will ballpark the floats till you can set them the correct way.

If you have used those new non-stick blue or red gaskets look around in the bowl for little flakes of that material. They shed if not de-burred before installing.

Also check your fuel filter, if you have an Auto palace special... I bet it is broken, and letting all the crap into your carb.... they break very easily.

A mechanical pump will give you 6 - 10 pounds. If you have put in .110 neddles, you may have too much pressure for the floats to close the valve, so you need to regulate it to 6.5 pounds.

Good Luck....

·
Registered
279 Posts
take you're gas cap off and run it for a while and see if this helps.....i had the same symptoms, and took the gas cap off and the problems ended.... what i then did, because i didn't wanna run it w/out a gas cap, i drilled 2 3/16 holes all the way through the cap, and they acted as a vent....not exactly sure why my car was doing this, or what ventin the cas cap did, but it worked, and i just left it at that....

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
Make sure the pump isn't a 14lb unit, or something that requires a regulator.

Is fuel pouring out of BOTH the front and rear venturis? If so, the pump is probably overpowering the needle/seat assembly. If the fuel is only coming out of one, either the float is adjusted too high, it's sunk, or there is some foreign matter in the needle/seat assembly keeping it from sealing off.

Good Luck!

·
Banned
2,833 Posts
Pull the float bowls off completely and the needles out and spray them with some carb cleaner. Lots of times when you reinstall the fuel lines and piece of dirt gets pushed into the system.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Side note ...

You have not lived til you've seen that happen real close up in the front seat of an E350 van with the doghouse off ... while out in traffic I'll add

Don't mean to sidetrack the thread, but man this post sure reminded me of a past experience.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well guys got it figured out! the floats must have been stuck, put the carb back together last night, and put it back on today with a fuel pressure gauge and it is running between 7 and 9 psi. boy the motor sure runs good!!!!!! it feels good to hear it fire up and idle after sitting on the stand for over a year! runs good! thanks for everyones help!

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Glad to hear you got it sorted out. I had that same problem a while back as I am sure a lot of other guys have. A stuck float is usually the culprit and just taking the bowls off and cleaning everything real good usually fixes it up just right. It sure does suck when you have fuel shooting out of the top of your carb though! Sometimes I wonder why we don't just fuel inject the damn things.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: blown68 on 12/5/06 5:46am ]</font>

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
about five years, i kinda haven t run for awhile though but the training sure paid of in my case!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have the same problem. Fuel pouring out of the secondary venturi's. Anybody have problems with nitrophyl floats sinking? How do you test them? Also, should I dump the oil? Thanks.

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
I have the same problem. Fuel pouring out of the secondary venturi's. Anybody have problems with nitrophyl floats sinking? How do you test them? Also, should I dump the oil? Thanks.
The needle/seat could also have some debris caught in it, keeping it from shutting the flow of fuel off.

If the oil is thinned out with gas, then it needs changed. If the level is up and it smells like gas... change it.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Just reaffirm all the previous posts- The Autolite 2 bbl on my Fairlane had similar symptoms on a couple occasions, and it was due to some very small debris holding the needle and seat open. Took the carb apart on the side of the road both times, cleaned off the needle and seat, reassembled the carb, and it was fixed. It doesn't take very much to mess up the needle/seat seal. Adding an inline filter seems to have prevented any further reoccurrences. Glad you got it fixed.

·
Registered
392 Posts
my 4100 was dumping fuel through the secondaries as well. would the float being stuck open also explain it continuing to drip even after the engine was turned off, and then being almost empty within minutes?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Thanks all! I cleaned out the needle and seat on both sides, reassembled, and no more fuel pouring out. Oil was fine, fired up and it ran great.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Mine dumps fuel through the secondaries as well. Was yours continuing to drip even after the engine was turned off, and then being almost empty within minutes?

When trying to figure mine out, I pulled the air cleaner off immediately after shutting the engine off, and it was still dripping out of the secondaries. Then I took the cover of the carb off, and the 2ndary bowl was almost empty! Does this sound similar to your problem?

I ended up getting a reman'd Holley for the time being to keep the car on the road, but would like to straighten my 4100 out at some point.

·
Registered
8 Posts
could be a pinhole in the carb float Sinks the float After the carb is empty , the float empties Then it works for a bit till the float fills up again and sinks.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts