Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 460 has flat top pistons, the cam has a little more than 500 lift, victor jr. intake, all MSD ignition, D3VE-A2A heads. Tranny is performance built C 6/2600 stall, 9" rear end with a gear of around 4:11 and it's in a 3200 lb car. What size carb should I start with? Thank you.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
We have to know the duration of the cam or the top RPM of the motor to know what size carb you need. It would also help to know what the lowest RPM you are going to go to wide open throttle.
Paul
Are you going to drag race or is this for the street - or round track?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: PaulS1950 on 8/9/06 8:08pm ]</font>

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As you can tell I'm new at this motor stuff. I plan to drive on the street a little, mostly drag strip. I guess I will have to pull the cam to get numbers off of it. I measured the lift with a dial indicator while the intake was off. I guess I should have more info before I ask these questions.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Minimum 750cfm, I'd go with 850 if all you plan to do is drag race it. Don't expect too much out of that engine with the D3 heads, unless they've been ported... the exhaust ports are more restrictive than stock SBF exhaust ports.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm pretty sure the heads have been ported. Thew fellow I got it from had it built by a machine shop in San Antonio. He had it in a 3/4 ton pick-up and it ran pretty good. In fact the truck was more than his girlfriend could handle and she crashed it. That's how I aquired the engine.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
It's REALLY easy to tell if the heads have been ported... remove the exhaust manifolds/headers and look for a HUGE bump on the roof of the exhaust ports. If it's there, they haven't been ported... if it's gone, then you're good to go
. There's a pic of the exhaust port bump (called a thermactor boss) in the fourth picture in this ebay auction (sorry I couldn't find a pic of it anywhere else on the web):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/429-460-FORD-CYLINDER-HEADS-REBUILT-TUNNEL-PORT-BOSS_W0QQitemZ270014768818QQihZ017QQcategoryZ33617QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Motorhead on 8/10/06 5:04am ]</font>

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Yeah I agree on the intake, a Weiand Stealth would probably be a much better choice for anything that you're not going to spin over 5500rpm.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The reason for the victor jr. was that I plan to stroke to 514 and put on edlebrock aluminum heads. It should spin up pretty good after that. I looked last night and the heads have been ported. There's a lot of unknowns since I didn't put the engine together. It may turn out to be a complete dog, but the price was right. Thanks again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.