Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just put a rebuild kit on my edelbrock 650 Carb. I've got a 65 gal vert and its night and day after the rebuild it was long overdue she was pretty nasty. So anyway its running good maintaining good idle and nice throttle response but I have a couple issues when I'm making a turn at low speeds the engine idles down considerably doesn't die but is very noticeable ( maybe float levels not sure ) also very strong smell of fuel while running and sitting in the garage any theories or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Fuel Leak, check all your lines and connection points (it sounds bizzare but maybe check your hose routing for any stressed connection points), check your fuel pump for leakage, and yes, do check your floats! A fuel leak is what I would pin it down to.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Might be power steering pump dragging engine down. There was a thread here a few weeks ago about that, some kind of dashpot on the carb to hold engine speed up a little

·
Registered
208 Posts
Definitely sounds like a float adjustment on the turning issue. Fuel sloshing in the bowl will either raise or lower the float depending on the float type and design. I'm not familiar with the Edelbrock series carbs. As far as the rich running in the garage it sounds like the idle mixture screws may not be adjusted correctly or the choke isn't coming fully off. Make sure the engine is warmed up and the choke is fully off. Make sure you have no vacuum leaks at all, and if you have a vacuum advance distributor, disconnect it from the dist and plug the line. With the engine off, screw the mixture screws in all the way then back them out 1.5 turns. Install a vacuum gauge in a good source of vacuum (not the distributor vacuum hose) Start the engine and then turn the idle mixture screw in until the engine stumbles or idle decreases ( you will see the vacuum drop on the gauge) Then screw the screw back out until the vacuum reaches the highest point. Play with the screw in or out to get the highest vacuum you can get and leave it there. Do the same with the other mixture screw assuming there is one. Hook your distributor vacuum advance back up and you should be good to go.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
There was a thread here a few weeks ago about that, some kind of dashpot on the carb to hold engine speed up a little
Is the application automatic and is there a dashpot properly adjusted?

·
Registered
420 Posts
Edelbrocks are very prone to issues if the float level and pressure are wrong. Assuming it was running well before (or at least not flooding) then the pressure is likely okay. The float level MUST be set right or you will fight it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input guys sounds like the usual suspects with the Carb its just fighting me because of my lack of experience with a carburated engine I'm only 33 and this is my first so I'm learning as I go it has definitely been a labor of love. So not exactly sure what a dashpot is I will do some research to see if it may apply but I'm pretty sure it all Carb adjustment causing my issues weather hasn't been so great here since I posted so haven't had a chance to really mess with it

·
Premium Member
5,846 Posts
Yeah disc brakes and fuel injection were great inventions!

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Yeah disc brakes

YES they were
and fuel injection were great inventions!
Still out to lunch on that (dont get me wrong, when working properly i agree) If not ima lost little calf away from mom, and have no clue for the most part. (then its broke AND a POS FI that i have no knowledge of and am all thumbs with..... ;) ;)

·
Registered
102 Posts
Edelbrock carburetors, even with modified linkages, do not have dashpots at all. Check the mixture with the vacuum gauge for sure, and maybe lean it out (1/8th turn in) to avoid running rich (may account for fuel smell) in any way.
I do not know 100% for sure if it applies to edelbrocks, but I trim out the idle speed via timing. As per the link here...
Initial timing and manifold vacuum - Chevelle Tech

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
The OEM carb would have had a dashpot if it was an automatic trans car.

You would need to make a bracket for the edel to have one but you do not need one if you get your carb tuned properly.

Kultulz and I are almost one in the love of Fuel Injection... When I hit a wall I run crying to the book Genius of PSIG :)

·
Administrator
21,661 Posts
YES they were

Still out to lunch on that (dont get me wrong, when working properly i agree) If not ima lost little calf away from mom, and have no clue for the most part. (then its broke AND a POS FI that i have no knowledge of and am all thumbs with..... ;) ;)
I have to agree there! Along with sideways engines added to the comment!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Kultulz and I are almost one in the love of Fuel Injection... When I hit a wall I run crying to the book Genius of PSIG :)
FE what aftermarket fuel injection system would you consider the best for an FE engine update? I like the idea of going fuel injection, but I want the best system.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts