Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been having trouble with the edeljunk carb on my 63 so I found my original carb in a box and thinking about getting it rebuilt and giving it a shot. I have a 352 with a mild cam in it. Running pertronix with stock coil. It still runs ok but mileage has gone to crap. Used to get about14 mpg but seems to be about 8 mpg now. Still have the cruiso tranny and stock 3.10 gear in it. Any good carb shops around these days?

·
Premium Member
6,079 Posts
I used to get 8 or 9 mpg. I rebuilt the engine from a 352 to a 390. I replaced the transmission. I rebuilt the carb. Now I get 8 or 9 mpg.

I assumed is was just bad driving habits. Will be interested in your report!

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
Been having trouble with the edeljunk carb on my 63 so I found my original carb in a box and thinking about getting it rebuilt and giving it a shot.

Hey Mr. S63G.
You have an Autolite 4100 C3AF-9510-XX?

Fun Carburetor once one becomes familiar about how it goes together, how it's systems function, and what is normal for the unit.

Can personally say that rebuilding a 4100, if it is well done, and the thing ends up actually functioning as advertised, gives one a feeling of accomplishment because of the net gain in experience and understanding.

I have a 352 with a mild cam in it. Running pertronix with stock coil. It still runs ok but mileage has gone to crap. Used to get about 14 mpg but seems to be about 8 mpg now.
You used to get 14 MPG with the Edlebrock, and it gradually declined to 8? Or did this change take place when the Edlebrock got installed?

Still have the cruiso tranny and stock 3.10 gear in it.

Any good carb shops around these days?
When the rebuild of Ms. American's 4100 was started, a trip to one of the auto repair shops in the area to see what they would charge to soak the 4100 in their Carburetor Cleaner. Was told that they didn't have any Carburetor Cleaner because everything is NOW Fuel Injection.

And about "giving it a shot"... That would be IDEAL. You get to know and understand one of the important and necessary parts of your vehicle, AND you don't have to shell out whatever whomever would charge. Doing it yourself gets you into an intimate relationship with the unit. Also, it does away with the trepidations and uncertainties that one has when one is dealing with something with which one has but a limited understanding.

After rebuilding the unit, messing with the adjustments becomes an easier thing to do, and in the case of the 3.14's 4100, there have been a number of refinements to make it more adjustable.

One has to overcome the fear of messing something up. With the 4100, there's little that can be done that can't be undone.

I say: "Go for it."

JC

·
Administrator
21,924 Posts
Call or search net for a rebuilder local maybe and check for reviews. Since pony went under i haven't even heard of another rebuilder. Ask at your napa or something too. That's where i used to find out about local businesses for things.

·
Registered
10,342 Posts
Local car clubs are also a good source for references to local talent, and also whom you should avoid. ;) Any brand club is fine for starters as the work is generic; so a classic Chevy or Mopar club is better than nothing for references.

David

·
Administrator
21,924 Posts
I thought pony carbs closed up shop. I've heard good and bad on their work. Some comparing their work way back to more recently going down hill. But it's the first place that pops into mind when someone needs carb work. I didn't this time as i thought they closed up. Unless that was the other place, carb world or something like that.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've rebuilt quite a few carbs in my day and the old two barrel motorcraft was as simple as they come so this should only be twice as bad as that. It's only gonna cost a rebuild kit and a soaking to try but I was concerned about how the bigger cam will affect things. It's a stock intake and compression so the cams the only monkey wrench in the mix. One thing that needs repair for sure is the distributor. It's just sloppy. Also the stock torque converter is just so dang tight it's stupid.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you haven't found a company to rebuild your carburetor, I would like to suggest my company, Carb Junkys.

We are a small family owned business that work with Class Car restoration shops all over the world. We've rebuilt and restored thousands of carburetors.

Take a look at our Facebook page and our ebay store. You'll see we do great work and have a great reputation. There are lots of great photos on Facebook and our website: Carburetor Rebuilds Carburetor Restorations Carburetor Repairs

https://www.facebook.com/CarbJunkysCarburetors?ref=hl

Over 4500 positive feedback rating and 5 Star Service on ebay: Carburetor Rebuild Repair Kits, Carburetor Parts items in Carb Junkys Carburetors store on eBay!

Give us a call if you have any other questions. We're always happy to answer.

10am-10pm EST Monday through Friday
10am-6pm Saturday
12-5pm Sunday

Thanks for your consideration!

Melissa

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
If you haven't found a company to rebuild your carburetor, I would like to suggest my company, Carb Junkys.

We are a small family owned business that work with Class Car restoration shops all over the world. We've rebuilt and restored thousands of carburetors.

Take a look at our Facebook page and our ebay store. You'll see we do great work and have a great reputation. There are lots of great photos on Facebook and our website: Carburetor Rebuilds Carburetor Restorations Carburetor Repairs

https://www.facebook.com/CarbJunkysCarburetors?ref=hl

Over 4500 positive feedback rating and 5 Star Service on ebay: Carburetor Rebuild Repair Kits, Carburetor Parts items in Carb Junkys Carburetors store on eBay!

Give us a call if you have any other questions. We're always happy to answer.

10am-10pm EST Monday through Friday
10am-6pm Saturday
12-5pm Sunday

Thanks for your consideration!

Melissa

Can't Call without a Phone Number.....

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Best mileage I ever got from an FE (352/250) block was in the mid/upper teens. Motor had blowby and was looking for a spot to sit down and die.

I put in a used 352/250 (46,000 mile engine); mileage went down.

Now, I have a rebuilt 390/300 and the mileage is the same as the second 352, around 11/12/13 mpg (if lucky).

Since I don't drive the car a lot, I just accepted it as the price of owning a classic, fairly heavy car with a motor that was never designed for $4 per gallon.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Peice of cake... I say try and rebuild it your self... Get a good kIt... Take pics that you can reference for reassembly...lots of them- I always look back and go dang it I didn't take a pic of those pieces??? The old parts In some zip lock bags as you go and then you can sort of see what goes with what from the new kit. You know... Floats and associated hard wear in one... Vacuum advance and all it's associated in another.... Etc. Etc... Come on here and YouTube and you got it whooped... Good luck... And if you get in a bind you can always box it up and ship to one of the rebuilders for finish up... It's fairly easy and with alite common sense, a flat and phillips your good to go. Keep us posted.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts