Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the carb i have on my 306 now is a 750 edelbrock that was rebuilt by a generic carb place.when i dynoed last combo carb functioned well but was way rich,new combo is 347 with bigger cam and bigger heads ,should these changes cause carb to fall into line or just stay too rich.FYI i have a nice 4gas analizer at my disposal and other diag tools but we do not have a dyno,CASH FLOW dictates use of this carb for now but suggestions for tuning or replacement appreciated

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
The carb should run as it was running or slightly richer, because you will now have more vacuum signal strength at idle and part cruze condition. Drawing in more mixture at low speeds.

What is your entire combo including heads, compresion, cam specs, timing at idle and at 3000 RPMs if you know it.

Know your jet sizes, and are you 2 corner or 4 corner idle? Mechanical or vacuum secondaries?

The more information I get, the more I can tell you what is going on.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
If you've got the know how and tools, go ahead and tune it. It should work fine until you can afford something better.

I had a 750 Edelbrock on my 331 for awhile and although it was tuned perfectly (on a chassis dyno), it didn't really optimize my top end power.

I switched to a Holley 750HP and noticed a significant improvement.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
No sense throughing it away. Use it to get your car running right, test things out and if you don't like it, then do something.

Plus if you do cange it, you will have a referance to how big a carb you want to use, based on your driving needs. Your new one could go smaller, or larger depending on how this one will work for you.

With all the engine information I asked about, we could probably help you tune it for your application. It probably does not need to change too much if it was only slightly rich in your last application.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
If you are thinking of getting something else, you can eBay it... I cleaned up my old 750 Edelbrock and sold it on eBay, and got over $200 for it. Then turn that around and buy a good used 750 double pumper, or put it towards a new carb. Just make sure you've got good looking, clear pictures (at least 3 or 4) on the auction, that's the #1 key to getting decent money for something on eBay, PICTURES

1 - 7 of 7 Posts