Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

New to this forum and thankful for any help or advice you can provide. I recently saved a 67 Galaxie 500 with 390 2v from the crusher. Got it running pretty easy but the carb needs a rebuild so I started tearing the motor apart.

Pulled the v/c's to install perfomer 390 and found alot of crud. I am wondering if you can run the rocker arms thru a commercial parts washer as a whole or if they need to be disassembled. I am going to clean the motor as best as possible with a tooth brush and shop vac and then try the diesel/atf in the oil trick once its back together and running. Can I blow compressed air down the oil passages to make sure theres nothing in there? Quite a bit of carbon on the back of the valves, any ideas?

Not ready to do a full teardown as the motor has good compression, just want to freshen it up a little.

Thanks in advance.

Ben

Attachments

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
Yes you can wash them after taking them off, just clean ALL the water out.

Taking the heads off and having them washed at a machine shop parts washer would be best and only put you out another $45 bucks for head gaskets and maybe $30 for the parts washing and it really gets them clean.

The rocker shafts can be washed in the same bath... Just keep the order the pushrods came off and the head each shaft goes on before assembly. Use a punch to ID the shaft to the head...

·
Registered
251 Posts
Good save!! Would have brought a tear to my eye to see that one crushed:(. I would stay away from the ATF/diesel thing, the ATF will trash your seals. FEs leak enough oil as is. there is a lot of detergents in oil so just regular oil changes will clean it up a lot. You could even use like a 15-40 diesel engine oil as it has even more detergents. Do your first couple oil changes at 500-1000 miles before going to 3k changes. Also while you have everything apart check your stem seals I'll bet they are as hard as a rock. Enjoy your find!:)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys,
Appreciate the advice, I've always had Fords but never one as a toy. I'm pretty stoked. Its a baby blue 2dr fastback with a 9" and an auto. pretty unmolested. best of all NO rust in the pans or trunk or rockers and the dash is perfect.
I'm going to avoid the diesel and just do lots of oil changes. Just waiting on a lokar throttle cable and some gaskets and it should be on the road.
My buddy has a shop in Seattle so I'll take the heads, v/c's, rockers etc over to him and run them through his parts washer. Will that affect the valve stem seals?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
your right fe.
problem is once the heads are off and the valves are out then i gotta get the heads surfaced, get valve grind, debur, port, polish, and all i wanna do i drive this thing
I think i'm gonna clean it up as best as possible, enjoy it this summer and do a full teardown/build next winter.

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
You don't gotta do none of that at all. Iron heads don't need milling every time they're removed.

But for the quickie fix, just brush wash everything off, rinse heavily to get all deposits to pass through oil pan. Be SURE to stuff rags or paper towels into EACH intake port BEFORE you start cleaning crap off, then REMOVE ALL of them and vacuum the ports out before installing intake and other parts.

Then run it for 20 minutes then change your oil and filter and forget about it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
do you mean wash with soap and water? i was gonna use a small wire brush and shopvac for the solids first then some carb spray and rags on the varnish/gunk.
good tip on the intake ports, I get excited sometimes and end up making more work for my self later. thats part of the fun though

·
Registered
841 Posts
If yer pulling the heads, cheap and easy way is Easy-Off Oven cleaner and a pressure washer, then coat the everything with WD40.

If you don't want to pull the heads, switch to a diesel oil. It has high detergent properties but not enough to break things off and clog your oil pick up (like the diesel or atf might do). Its going to take longer to get the inside clean, but it will work. Just change the oil filter every ~500 miles and top off with fresh Rotella or Delo. complete oil change interval outta get most of it out.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
so i ran em thru the parts washer(water based) 2x and they came out way cleaner, decided to take em apart to make sure no water or junk trapped in passages and found out why there was so much carbon, based on wear and spalling on the shaft. it looks like it was oil starved and cooked what little there was. heres a shot of the worst one.

anybody used this cheap roller rocker set on ebay?
BBF SHAFT MOUNT ROLLER ROCKERS ARMS FORD FE 390 427 428 | eBay

Attachments

·
Registered
1,604 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So I got it all cleaned up and ready to go back together. My intake gaskets have the exhaust crossover blocked but being in the NW I think I would like to leave it open. Can I just cut out the opening for the crossover into the gasket? Do I really need it in the NW? car is never gonna be a daily.

Attachments

·
Registered
841 Posts
You don't want to use those gaskets. Those Fel Pro Printo-Seals are going to leak like a siv. Go get some Mr Gasket's or Edelbrock or Victor Reinz. As for crossover, even though we're in the NW, you don't need them. You can cut them out if you'd like.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts