Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, I have '68 mustang and I was wondering if anyone has upgraded to carbon ceramic brake pads? The reason I asked is I found out that it is dust free, it has better stopping power and it doesn't even make a squeaking sound. I guess if I have to go that way, I need to have 4 disc brakes, front and rear. Upon research, I stumbled across an article link here it is 馃敟 POWER STOP BRAKES REVIEWS: TOP 12 PRODUCTS OF 2020 | MOTORING CRUNCH and am leaning to upgrade. What's your thoughts?

Registered
Hi, I have '68 mustang and I was wondering if anyone has upgraded to carbon ceramic brake pads? The reason I asked is I found out that it is dust free, it has better stopping power and it doesn't even make a squeaking sound. I guess if I have to go that way, I need to have 4 disc brakes, front and rear. Upon research, I stumbled across an article link here and am leaning to upgrade. What's your thoughts?
I like ceramic based pads for all the reasons you specify. They perform better with warmer temperatures.

Registered
I worked for Akebono Corporation for about 7 years as a field sales tech. They are the folks that introduced the public to
ceramic brake pads, manufacturing them for mass consumption at the OE level. (To demonstrate their superiority in the field,
they also did the entire F1 brake systems on the championship team cars of Lewis Hamilton and Fernando Alonso in 2007)

On true ceramic pad friction, the material has to be matched to the specific (temperature) operating characteristics of the application.
They're excellent within those parameters. Outside those, they are still good and will stop fine, but the wear on the pads is
accelerated. Hallmarks of such specific friction compounds are high and stable M渭 (friction coefficient), silent operation, low dust and
long operational life.

I'm unaware of any manufacturer in the aftermarket manufacturing a true ceramic in D11 pads or any of the other vintage Mustang brake
pad configurations.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts