Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand that places that use carburetor cleaner in an industrial way, use a stronger solvent mix. I was going to do a rebuild on an old Autolite 4100 unit and it turns out that the products are limited where I live. The carburetor cleaner that was recommended was Sea Foam...$ 80.00 . Wow!
I live in Vancouver B.C and would cross the border only to get told that I can't bring a product in from the U.S.A ....Not sure but will have to ask. I know there are a lot of auto shops just in Bellingham Wash .

Thanks

Greg

·
Premium Member
5,388 Posts
I use Nulon carb and throttle body cleaner.
Spray on, and watch the dirt wash off. Use a tooth brush if the dirt is a little harder to remove.

·
Registered
10,316 Posts
As far as restrictions, there is a big difference in the laws regarding aerosol as compared to just liquid. So, if you can buy your favorite chemicals in a pour bottle/can but want to spray it, then just put it in a spray can, squirt bottle, or small garden sprayer. Likewise, if you want to soak parts, you can dilute chemicals with mineral spirits or paint thinner and soak all week for the same effect. Paint cans and 3-gallon buckets with lids are good for carbs. Also, note the active ingredients of your favorite stuff and find other products that also have them. You can often buy the good stuff under a completely different name at the local home supply. ;)

David

Fill 'er up, hit it with your compressed air, and spray:

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
20 years ago berrymans chem dip, not so much any more. (Thank You EPA/Tree Huggers/Enviro-Friendly nut cases....)

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That was it Berrymans. Now I too remember the good old days when you even got one drop of that carb cleaner on the paint of your car it wa coming off....I actually thought about a product that I had used inn the 80's for stripping aircraft paint.I want a product that is going to get into the small passages. I am going to have to try looking again. But thanks to all my Ford Muscle friends I have a better understanding of what is available .

Cheers

Greg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts