Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have some questions about the exhaust manifold/choke/carburetor/air cleaner hose connections. I am restoring a 1964 390 to factory specifications, so the more original, the better! The lines were broken/damanged when I got the engine, so I don't have a good source for information. The shop manual is helpful, but I never found a good image of the choke heat riser connections, so any help is greatly appreciated!

1. Is this an draw or a send? And does it go to the carb choke (#5), the carb (#4), or the air cleaner (#7)? I assume a metal hose connection is used. Is that just a pressure fit since the hole is unthreaded?
2. This is going to be the opposite of the draw/send (#1). Again, I assume a pressure fit? And what is the destination (#4, #5, or #7)? Has anyone had success with the universal choke tube kit that Mac's sells (part number: 9819-UNIV)?
3. This is a mounting hole that is threaded. Both the driver and passenger side exhaust manifold have them. What types of accessories/brackets were mounted onto the exhaust manifold? I noticed the reproduction exhaust manifold for the 64 Galaxies do not have these mounting holes!
4. Carburetor connection... to?
5. Carb choke connection... to?
6. I believe this is the vacuum hose that runs from the distributor. My remanufactured distributor has a fitting for a 3/16" rubber hose, but the fitting on the carb (pictured underneath the choke assembly) looks like a fitting for a 5/16" rubber hose, or perhaps a metal hose. What are my options here? The nipple starts at 3/16" and turns into threads around 5/16"!
7. Air cleaner connection...to?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Broke FE! I think that all makes sense, except I need to ask what is the purpose of #4 and #7 being connected? I would have thought that #1 and #7 go together so the choke tube is always supplied with filtered air...

Has anyone ever used one of the Scott Drake choke tube kits? They have a Header Choke Tube Set (MCT014) and a 390 Choke Tube Set (MCT002), but they only list Mustang applications on their website. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
750 Posts
Attached is a diagram from my 1964 Ford shop manual showing that fresh air nipple you're inquiring about (#7 in your pic). I also dug into my 60-64 Ford MPC (parts catalog) and I see an early/late date break-off of 5/1/64. The early, afaik, uses #4 in your pic, and the late, #7.

I then found a google diagram (below) which tends to back that up, depicting a 1963 set-up. BTW, this setup was used in both '63 and '64 full-size Fords (and Mercs), and T-birds. So you might check out some T-bird parts-houses, if that Mustang (Drake) idea goes paws up. ...or.... buy the easier-to-get front tube, then go with brake-line/steel tubing and make the fresh air tube yourself, using the diagram as a template?

Hope that helps get you a bit closer? Norm

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/Choke Tubes- 60-64 FE.jpg

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,566 Posts
My 1965 air cleaner does not have that nipple.

On my 65 I have 2->5 using the insulated steel tube threaded on one end in FE's pic. Then I have 1->4, mostly hose, with a tube where it enters the manifold. The connectors to the manifold had rusted away so I fitted a short pipe into the ends of the tubes, then drilled out the holes in the manifold so the short pipes would tightly press fit in.

·
Premium Member
34,854 Posts
Thank you Broke FE! I think that all makes sense, except I need to ask what is the purpose of #4 and #7 being connected? I would have thought that #1 and #7 go together so the choke tube is always supplied with filtered air...

Has anyone ever used one of the Scott Drake choke tube kits? They have a Header Choke Tube Set (MCT014) and a 390 Choke Tube Set (MCT002), but they only list Mustang applications on their website. Any recommendations?
Yes you are correct, I don't know what got into me. Was thinking too fast, trying to move along and see everything all at once like normal... My bad :)

#4 and #7 is correct as shown in the illustrations above, I've only seen a couple like that in the last 30 years.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts