Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all

I have a 64'-67' 390 engine/ auto trans(not exactly sure of the year) It currently has an Autolite Carb. I checked the numbers on the carb and it's a 1.08 venturi 4V 480 CFM for a 289engine. Also the gas line fitting threads to the carb has been buggered up from previous owners, drilled out and tapped to larger size... stripped then retapped... (Just a mess). So I'm looking for a brand new carb. I don't care to bring this car to Stock spec's. I also have another 390 engine I plan on rebuilding to swap out the current engine. I will probably be putting a slightly larger cam just for the rumble. So the question is.... Which carb manufacturer do I go with and what size? I prefer low end to mid range torque.

Also, I uploaded some pics and video and listed my (URL). Please let me know if you are able to view.

Regards,

-H-

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Something in the 600-650 cfm range should work well for you for a basically stock motor..I have a 600 cfm edelbrock carb on a 390 pickup truck and it works pretty decent for a driver..

·
Registered
208 Posts
I just put this on my 390 and it runs like a new car. It took me forever to decide between the Holley and Edelbrock, but ultimately the Holley won. I ended up finding this one on the shelf at Pep Boys for $256.00. I replaced an old beat up Autolite 4100 with it and it made a world of difference.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I put an Elderbrock 4 barrel on my 352 (2 barrel intake) with the help of an adapter kit..I went AGAINST the advice of some.. I don't REGRET it for a minute... It was FREE, Not having a job and not being able to drive(so the dr. said) it's hard to find a job.. RIGHT NOW FREE is ALL I CAN AFFORD.. Now the waterpump on the boat is out.. TESTING TESTING,, I'll MAKE it.... HAVE A GOOD DAY.. LAGo ... 1963 Ford Galaxie500 boxtop 4door sedan(SnoWhite)

·
Registered
208 Posts
What model Holley did you end up buying? There's a million to choose from.
Holley 0-80457S - Holley Model 4160. The 4160 is what everyone seemed to recommend for that engine (at least the people who weren't Holley haters!). I got the electric choke model as I didn't have all of the correct parts to keep it manual. But you can get the same thing in manual choke if thats your thing. It's actually even a bit cheaper. It was super easy to install and didn't need any adapters or anything. All of the gaskets and studs were included with it.

·
Subscriber
626 Posts
Old, why the 3.5 Power Valve?

Ford big blocks have torque at low RPMs and can handle more carb than most think..

However,(IMO) by using a 3.5 you're giving the motor time to prepare for what is coming next..

It helps the most with heaver cars..You will rarely bog, if at all, and it is a smoother transition of power..

I feel strongly that even 4-speeds (street cars) should try it at least once..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ford big blocks have torque at low RPMs and can handle more carb than most think..

However,(IMO) by using a 3.5 you're giving the motor time to prepare for what is coming next..

It helps the most with heaver cars..You will rarely bog, if at all, and it is a smoother transition of power..

I feel strongly that even 4-speeds (street cars) should try it at least once..
you peaked my interest im looking to upgrade the carb on my 390fe that im currently having rebuilt for my 1966 tbird .... it has lots of upgrades .... hotter cam, balanced SCJ valves and heads ported and tuned, arp bolts, higher compression pistons, 40 k over, double roller cam etc.... and as you know its a heavy car so dont want it to perform like a dog ... what carb would you suggest ( it has the factory stock one yet ) it will be my driver ( NO not daily driver ) for shows and sunday driving kinda thing .... so dont want gas hog worse than it already is LOL .... what you suggest ????

thanks for everything

·
Premium Member
3,834 Posts
I'd go with a standard 1850 600 cfm, with kickdown if you need it. No changes , easy choice up to about 350 hp

Alternatively, I'd go 600 Edelbrock, do not go 500 Edelbrock, they have some odd casting that really hurt airflow.

·
Premium Member
5,597 Posts
When I was having trouble with my 4100 I researched and the Summit 600 was going to get my cash. Supposed to take the best features from Holly and the 4100, but new.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts