Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so those of you who have replaced your carpet, what do you think of the quality and where did it come from. mine was macs/dearborn, and faded very quickly and didn't fit all that well. i'm going to replace again and want it to be the last time

·
Registered
139 Posts
Good to know. I was planning on redoing my interior this winter and I was going to buy from Macs. I’d be interested to hear where to get better quality too.

·
Registered
352 Posts
According to their website, it looks like Mac's/Dearborn uses Auto Custom Carpet as a supplier. ACC CARPET

I, too was going to replace my carpet with ACC but now I wonder if others have had the same issue.

I thought they were a quality manufacturer of replacement carpet but extech's experience seems to show otherwise.

·
Premium Member
5,593 Posts
My upholster replaced mine and with what looked and felt like plain ole carpet you put in your house. It was thin, about half the weight of the original and molded perfectly over the transm hump. She used a rubber heel piece for under the accelerator but needed to glue it down better.
Works for me but I'm not a daily driver.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I've had a time hunting down Ivy Gold interior for a '66 4 door hardtop. ACC seems to be the only player. There are two ways to order ACC carpet; std and mass backed. The mass backed is much more expensive ( I think this was about 350 bucks) but you get what you pay for. It's really heavy carpet. I test fitted the carpet and it seems ok, it's so heavy it'll take a warm summers day for it to settle in place on the floor pans. The standard carpet I tried and it's really chintzy, reminds me of marine carpet you get at the hardware store.

Attached are some pictures of the mass backed carpet. Some places will not let you order the ACC carpet in mass backed and others will. So you have to hunt it down and call around to different retailers.

For those having trouble finding headliners and sun visors also call around. Out of a dozen places I called I found one place to custom make me my new headliner and sun visors out of the correct grain vinyl headliner for a 4 door hardtop in Ivy Gold because they make the material. You just have to do the research and call. Countless hours spent hunting these items down.

Carpet_1.jpg

Carpet_2.jpg

Carpet_3.jpg

Good luck.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I got the ACC mass backed carpet off Rockauto. $210 plus tax and shipping. Could fit up against the firewall better, around the top of the trans tunnel, but I'm happy with what I got for the price.

·
Registered
999 Posts
I was an ACC jobber at one point but I've installed others as well. ACC has bee my go to since 1990 I don't know where you're going to find higher quality OEM fit carpet.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I haven't gotten a replacement carpet, but I've had a headliner and dashpad cap from Stock Interiors. Quality and price were very good

·
Registered
4 Posts
I got the carpet (not mass backed) for my '65 four door sedan from Mac's. It was the wrong color (too light), wrong pile (loops not close enough together) and the fit was
just so-so. But, I am no professional carpet installer. I would not recommend it. Maybe I should order the mass backed style.

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
so those of you who have replaced your carpet, what do you think of the quality and where did it come from. mine was macs/dearborn, and faded very quickly and didn't fit all that well. i'm going to replace again and want it to be the last time
I got samples from Stock Interiors a few months ago for my 65 Galaxie which still has the original (tired). The samples were just plain cheap. The loop is much smaller, less dense and the backing paper thin. Ordering the "mass backed" gets you the same questionable quality carpet glued to a heavy under padding. The molded fit looks less than great on the photos posted here. I think most of these carpet outfits are using the same supplier. I have not found a better choice and haven't ordered anything.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I got samples from Stock Interiors a few months ago for my 65 Galaxie which still has the original (tired). The samples were just plain cheap. The loop is much smaller, less dense and the backing paper thin. Ordering the "mass backed" gets you the same questionable quality carpet glued to a heavy under padding. The molded fit looks less than great on the photos posted here. I think most of these carpet outfits are using the same supplier. I have not found a better choice and haven't ordered anything.

·
Registered
125 Posts

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Installed Stock interiors in my '66.

Ford Galaxie '65-'68 Molded Carpet 2 Door Hardtop Fastback, Automatic; Color: 557-Gunmetal 80/20 Loop

Fit nice. Seems like good quality. Bought matching floor mats and extra carpet by the yard to complete my trunk.

20180504_170104.jpg

1 - 15 of 15 Posts