Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My step-father called me yesterday and told me about a couple of old cars he just aquired.

A friend of his told him about this old guy who had died with a lot of back tax bills oweing. Well, anyway the guy was one of the worlds biggest pack rats and his property was packed with junk. All of the stuff was being haul-off or sold off cheap. Including some old cars. The cars were the reason my stepfather went over there. One was suppose to be an old wooden wheeled antqiue. My stepfather went with his friend who wanted to see the antique and just for curiousity.

While my stepfather was looking around the junk filled property he noticed what he thought was a tall peice of a 1959 Cadillac Coupe DeVille buried in a barn that was cramped full of junk. After moving around some of the junk. He found it wasn't just part of the car but the whole thing. In solid shape though the tires were flat and the driver side window was broken.

He asked what will you take for the half buried car over there in the shed. The man selling off the stuff said, "$500 dollars".

They ended up finding a solid '62 Thunderbird in there also. "$650 for that one", the guy said. My stepfather offered $1100 for both and he took it.

My stepfather proceeded to tell me about several other cars on the property. At the moment I started having flashes of a Boss 429 or AC Cobra in a barn.

The other were just some old Novas and a rusty VW bug. Oh well so much for the $500 Boss9. The brief thought made my heart jump.

Still a cool find and awesome deal for the Caddy and T-bird, I thought.

Dale302

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Thats pretty cool man, I found the cyclone in a similar place. I found the cyclone, however, in an old lumber kiln, the kind that they used to dry huge stacks of finished lumber before sending it to sell. It was nice in dry, and not dusty at all. I wish I got as great bargin as your step father did.

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
I found my '65 Fairlane 500 wagon in a barn in Oklahoma just SW of Tulsa where it had been sitting for 12 years in the back corner. That was about 12 years ago and it had 32,000 miles on it then. Now it has 54,000 miles but will be sold soon on e-bay. There really is cars to be found in barns still. I got mine from the original owner who was very old when I bought it. Keep looking around down south out in the country. Theye're out there still.

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Here is one my friend found in a barn in Wisconsin.

Its a 71 Ford Country Sedan wagon with 12,000 original miles!

It has all the original hoses and belts and even had the original tires on it when he got it,but they were rotted to hell so he put some new ones one it.

It was from a 90+ year old lady who put the car away in her farms barn when here husband died in 1976.

She was selling the farm and had to clear out the barn so the car had to go.

He also just picked up a ultra low mileage 71 Ford Galaxie that looks like it was sealed in a time capsule since 71!

I went over to his house to check out the new Galaxie he just got,and it makes the wagon look like a "demo derby" car by comparison!

Its in storage and I really couldnt get any good pics of it though,but I will soon.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Great find on the T-Bird.. 60-62's are my favorite year for the T-Bird.

·
Registered
100 Posts
ooooh nice wagon... lose the white lettered tires, they just don't suit it, whitewalls or just black.

That'd make a great tow vehicle.

·
Registered
539 Posts
If you any of you guys get into the cars in barns website check out the Superbird/Daytona section. They have a good story on a Superbird which had it's wing cut off and it's nose removed. This was on there about 6 months ago

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
The '66-'69 Falcons are in garages and under tarps until the old owners decide to sell them or give them away. I bought my '68 Falcon wagon back in '87 with 48,000 miles and was garage kept its whole life for $400 from a dealer in Waco, TX who just bought it at an auction because the little old lady died and her car was then auctioned. Had working A/C but no power brakes or steering. Absolutely perfect car when I got it but that changed quickly. My new '68 Falcon wagon was garage kept until 2 years ago but the interior is still nice except for the dast(a few cracks) and the steering wheel. Owned by an old man but then sold to another older guy who just drove it 2 miles a day to/from work on Kirtland AFB until the brakes went out. Then he sold it to the junk yard from which I bought it from(saved it from). Runs like a champ! They are still out there especially in small towns down south. I have seen many Sports Coupes from '67-'69 and regular Falcons and Futuras(especially in Texas) but this is only the 2nd '68 Falcon wagon I've seen(I had them both) and only 3 '66-'69 Falcon wagons I have seen period. I also had that 3rd one which was a '67 Falcon Futura wagon also in Texas and bought it from the original owner who was also a preacher at the church next to my best friends house. He saw my '68 Falcon wagon in my friends driveway and stopped by to ask if I was interrested in another Falcon wagon for $100. I had the car the next day and got it running after it sat under a large tree for 9 years but the shade protected the beautiful interior and the paint was great(once I washed the green and black mold/mildew from it). They are in peoples back yards, in old barns, in garages, and sitting out in fields. I snatched a center console with floor shifter from a '69 Falcon sitting about 1/2 mile back in a field in Texas(near Meridian) that back in '89 or '90 and when I went to Texas last summer, it was still sitting back there. Still under the trees but the trees are much larger now. Keep faith and look away from the larger cities to find them.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
This isnt a barn story, but the guy I got my Fairlane parts car from has about 3 acres crammed full of old cars. I saw a few T-bird (60's), couple Galaxies, comets, couple 67/68 cougars, and alot of Chevy. They are in the same shape as my parts car, but alot of cool fixer uppers if you had the money.

Rick

·
Registered
413 Posts
This isn't a great find in a barn. I found my recently sold 68 mustang sitting under a tree. It was a project that someone started and never finished. When I saw it it was covered in a half inch of green stuff and had no interior. That was all I knew. The guy told me a 1000 would take it. All I knew was it had no rot in the body or frame. I took it. When I went to load it up he opened his shed and my mouth dropped. All the interior was in there. All of it like new. It was gold interior with a console. It was perfect. Then he handed me the paper work on the car. It had a brand new from ford 289 and c4 in it. Both with less than 300 miles on them. I got it home washed it and it had perfect dark green paint. Best 1000 I ever spent. Then I traded the motor and trans to my friend for a brand new SVO 351W. It is getting real hard to find good deals like that anymore.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: windsoreight on 1/30/02 6:35am ]</font>

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
You would cry if you saw my pole barn. '65 one owner rust free Mustang, '68 Hurst Olds, 90 Mustang GT, '71 Montego, '70 Cyclone Spoiler, 8 second '66 tube chassis Mustang, it's in there with my lawn mowers, a spa, & tons of big block stuff.That doesn't count the others I drive. Got an '86 SVO everyday car. BTW Kent, you forgot about the yellow wagon. I saw it last week. Gets worse every day

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
What yellow wagon? I don't remember. BTW, welcom to Fordmuscle.com!

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
You mean the '67 or '68 Falcon wagon that sat at Denny's and I went balistic over wanting it or is it a different one?

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
I knew it would get screwed up. Damn women drivers that take nice decent cars and totally screw them up. That was a very decent wagon before that waitress bitch ruined it. She didn't want to sell it either cause I asked her. It was her dead grandmothers car or something like that and she was too sentemental to sell it to me. I hope that bitch dies in it for her sins of the Ford flesh. Rot in hell waitress! I could have saved that car if it wasn't for her.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
That car was really a nice one. You would have just skinny engined it. Had some old dude in it last I saw it... Still no rear window! It's a shame, you would have looked good in it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
There's still cars out there to be found. Last year my friend found 3 retractables 57,58&59 plus a59 4door,all in a garage. The 57 would have made a good parts car,the 58&59 were real nice. He paid $2500.00 for all. Sold the 57 for 1000.00,the 58 for 8700.00 and the 59 for 7000.00. Talk about easy money.
With all this Falcon talk going on makes me think i'm not the only 68 Falcon wagon owner out there! JIM

·
Registered
44 Posts
There's still cars out there to be found. Last year my friend found 3 retractables 57,58&59 plus a59 4door,all in a garage. The 57 would have made a good parts car,the 58&59 were real nice. He paid $2500.00 for all. Sold the 57 for 1000.00,the 58 for 8700.00 and the 59 for 7000.00. Talk about easy money.
With all this Falcon talk going on makes me think i'm not the only 68 Falcon wagon owner out there! JIM

1 - 20 of 27 Posts