Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in my '63 Ranchero ( 289/T-10 ) and lost all power the other day while traveling at about 70 mph. Turns out the roll pin that holds the distributor drive gear to the dizzy has sheared. The gear looks decent. No real crazy wear pattern at all. The drive dear on the cam looks fine. Even the sheared roll pin stayed where it should. Both pieces poking out of the gear and the rest of it still in the dizzy shaft. The oil pump drive is intact and spins the oil pump nice and smooth. The distributor has been in the car 10 years in three different engines with no prior issue. It just seems like one of those things. But, what else could have caused such an immediate failure of that pin?

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
A hunk of valve seal or gasket getting into the pump will do it every time!

·
Registered
734 Posts
off subject but, is the T10 better then the T5? why did u go T10?

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
Do What? Sieze the oil pump?
Yes it can seize the pump. When the that happens the roll pin is typically the weakest link. As 427 mentioned, it could be something as simple as a dried out valve seal, or? It probably now runs freely because it broke up.

This would be a good time to remove your oil filter, cut it open, and check the screening paper for debris. Change the oil too and also check it out.

A loose distributor drive gear could act the same. Did the gear seem tight to the shaft?

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes it can seize the pump. When the that happens the roll pin is typically the weakest link. As 427 mentioned, it could be something as simple as a dried out valve seal, or? It probably now runs freely because it broke up.

This would be a good time to remove your oil filter, cut it open, and check the screening paper for debris. Change the oil too and also check it out.

A loose distributor drive gear could act the same. Did the gear seem tight to the shaft?
I do plan on an oil and filter change. I'll open the filter too. The gear is definitely gooodentight but I'm going to a local performance shop to have them take a look at that and the wear on the gear as well.

Thanx for all the input!:bow:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts