Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.... sorry for the Mercury question but I'm not having any luck anywhere else.

I've got a '68 Cougar with a supposedly bent centerlink. It's power steering. The only centerlinks I can find anywhere (online, auto parts store, etc.) are all 'manual' centerlinks. Is there a seperate centerlink for a power steering setup? Or is the manual piece the correct part for either powered or non-powered steering in a '68?
I can find a centerlink for the Eliminator, which looks like the same darn part, only upside down! Mine is just a plain jane Cougar.

Thanks for any help folks!

Joe

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: HwyStarJoe on 11/14/06 9:27am ]</font>

·
Registered
634 Posts
The center link for a '68 Cougar (and Mustang) is a different
unit between the p/s and manual steering cars. The one
for p/s has the control valve bolted on the driver's side end.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
where is it bent...do you have a pic of it? i would like to see this.
http://www.rareparts.com/ will have your part and all the interchange info. just give em a call and they will even give you the thread count!

or even cheaper here if they still have them http://www.espo.com/
they may say not for the cougar but i think(not certain) at least one stang should match...or a fairlane. and rare parts could answer your interchange question for free. good luck and post a pic please..i want to see where it bent.

btw call espo they have more parts than is listed on their site. and they are very helpful as well.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: trukstopcowboy on 11/14/06 10:29am ]</font>

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks 66GT289 and trukstopcowboy.

I've been to Rare Parts site. They show the same thing that Advance Auto Parts site shows since they supply them. And it's only the manual link. I suppose I could give them a call as well.

I see a lot about changing from PS to manual steering. I don't understand why you'd want to, or why there would be a lack of PS center links available.

I'll check out ESPO for sure. I know Mustangs and at least the Comet shared suspension parts. I'm not sure about steering parts for the '68 model year.

I can take pics. It's gotta come out of the car one way or the other because I can't get an alignment done properly because of it. I'll try to get pics before I yank it.

Thanks again folks!

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
cool take pics after you yank it out too. rare parts doesnt list everything they have either so call them and espo. good luck

·
Banned
2,833 Posts
68 Stang are the same part numbers. But the manual and power steering center links are different. AutoKrafters and overs sell the center links.

·
Registered
363 Posts

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Were in WNY are ya? I'm near Toronto and there are three old Cougars in a yard up this way that may still have center links in them. Stu

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alrighty... here's a couple pics of the center link installed.
Does it look bent, or is it supposed to be shaped like it is?

It's definitely different from a manual steering center link, as it has the extra mounting hole in it for the cylinder at attach to. And it's threaded on the drivers side end to attach the power steering hydraulics.
I'm still unable to locate a new one.

By the way, I'm near Rochester.

*EDIT* Suddenly Mustangs Unlimited carries the power steering center link!! It wasn't there earlier this week for sure! Strange.....

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: HwyStarJoe on 11/19/06 9:00am ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: HwyStarJoe on 11/19/06 9:37am ]</font>

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We got the center link out of the car finally. It took two of us and lot of cussing!
Now all of the power steering components need rebuilding. Bummer!
I'll get picture of the link now that it's out. WOW is it bent. A lot worse than it looks in those pictures. For the life of me, I cannot figure out how it could have possibly gotten bent at all. The cra has never been in an accident.... the cross member is untouched..... the power ccylinder is untouched..... everything around the center link is in perfect condition. All I can think of is that someone lifted the car by the center link by accident and really put some weight on it to bend it that badly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts