Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, now that I am making a little progress with my comet again. I have been thinking of my interior. Going to do the sound deadening and all. I also was going to make my interior panels ( door panels, rear shelf, headliner,) out of carbon fiber. Well yesterday my mind was wandering and I was thinking CF headliner may give me weird acoustics???

Maybe sound hollow? Maybe sound like inside plastic?.

What are your opinions? Does anyone have or been in a vehicle with CF or fiberglass type headliner? If so did it have a hollow or strange sound/feeling to it.

Even if you haven't what are your opinions?

As always all opinions welcome

Thanks
Lou

·
Registered
576 Posts
I didn't think you were going for the ricer racecar look on the Comet...Its going to be super sharp looking tho. If I was going for a racecar look, I'd go aluminum panels with a stock headliner and dashpad.

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
The sound that comes to mind is riding in forties and fifties trucks.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn't think you were going for the ricer racecar look on the Comet...Its going to be super sharp looking tho. If I was going for a racecar look, I'd go aluminum panels with a stock headliner and dashpad.
Your right, don't want ricer race car. I was going to use all th factory chrome/trim on the door panels and headliner to try and break it up. But yes the look is a concern.

Just that CF is pretty cheap and could do all the panels and such for couple hundred bucks. Also pretty easy to do.

My orig headliner is a cardboard type which you can't get. Not sure on all I would need to convert it to cloth headliner.

I pretty much need complete interior. Was thinking the CF panels would save a little money.

Lou

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The sound that comes to mind is riding in forties and fifties trucks.
Yea that's what I was thinking too.

Was originally thinking it would be cool to do the headliner and door panels in CF cloth only, no resin/epoxy. But the fibers are bad for ya.

Thinking I need plan B. lol

Lou

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
I've never seen a cardboard headliner in a 60's. Mine is vinyl and should fit the Comet. Have you looked on Ebay? I see them for Falcons but, never checked the Comets.

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Use that 3M peel and stick sound deadener/moisture barrieer. It won't matter what sort of headliner you use then.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Your right, don't want ricer race car. I was going to use all th factory chrome/trim on the door panels and headliner to try and break it up. But yes the look is a concern.

Just that CF is pretty cheap and could do all the panels and such for couple hundred bucks. Also pretty easy to do.

My orig headliner is a cardboard type which you can't get. Not sure on all I would need to convert it to cloth headliner.

I pretty much need complete interior. Was thinking the CF panels would save a little money.

Lou
My bad...I didn't realize the Comet had a cardboard HL. I assumed they were cloth/vynil like the Fairlanes.. No ideas on the HL, but all the other panels I'd do a nice tuck and roll or button tuck with your choice of upolstery material...Easy to do at home, less then 200 bucks for everything.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My bad...I didn't realize the Comet had a cardboard HL. I assumed they were cloth/vynil like the Fairlanes.. No ideas on the HL, but all the other panels I'd do a nice tuck and roll or button tuck with your choice of upolstery material...Easy to do at home, less then 200 bucks for everything.
Yea the cardboard HL sucks, lol.

Been thinking about it last few days and think I am going to try the CF still.

When I first planned my build I decided I was going to try some different things with it since it is my car. the CF one of them. So I think I will still try it. I'm going to try to get some bows also. This way if I don't like the Looks or the acoustics of the CF I take it out and put a vinyl one in it.

Going to have sound deadener and foam so maybe the acoustics will be ok.

Thanks for the opinions

Lou

1 - 11 of 11 Posts