Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How feasible would it be to put a 352 into a 1972 Mustang coupe that has a 302 now and what would the advantages/disadvabtages be power wise and drivability?

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
For simplicity I would use a 302 or 351 because of ease of installation. Transmission and radiator compatibility motor mounts etc..

·
Premium Member
3,853 Posts
It would be far easier to use a 351, which is a bolt in, and has much more aftermarket support. However, if you wanted to do it, you would need to make motor mounts, swap transmissions (or bellhousing if 4 speed) make up clutch linkage if 4 speed, and then just mix and match throttle cable brackets, hoses, etc. I would advise against it as 352s are only 200-250 HP depending on how set up stock, a nice 351W or 351C would be infinitely easier for the same or more power

·
Registered
25 Posts
I am guessing you have a complete running 352 and that is why this is even an idea. As was said it requires pretty much everything. Trans, driveshaft, headers, exhaust. A 302 is easy to build and cheap if your not looking for anything crazy(even the best 352 will be lacking of a decent sbf for the money). Not knocking the old racers that have 352s. They have found ways to make great power with them. Just not easy or cheap. You are already planning to pull the 302 (to replace or rebuild) so just do a rebuild. Maybe cut the heads for a little more compression. Cam and lifters and a performer rpm manifold. Easy and likely much stronger and cheaper than 99% of 352's left in the world.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts