Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The gasket on the pan has been leaking so I decided to change to type F also for a firmer shift on my C-6.It is behind a 466 in a 68 stang for those who dont remember.I had to pull off one of the collectors to get the pan off.When I pulled it off I noticed a bit of black material in the pan.Is this just clutch material? I also found a small piece of metal about as big as half of your pinky nail.There was a small pile of the black stuff under where the filter pickup is.
This is a TCI tranny with a reverse manual valve body.It only has about 1k on it.Ive heard alot of bad things about TCI but this was after I bought it.I am pushing 560 horseys through it.
Should I be worried about this Stuff?
Bob

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
just be sure to keep an eye on it. Our c4's do this regularly, and it doesn't seem to bother them much. We freshen them up every winter just in case, though usually they work fine. What color was the piece of metal? Was it brass-looking, or aluminum, or like steel?

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.The piece of metal looked like steel looked like hardened steel maybe a piece of a gear?
I would like to hear some other opinions.Thanks

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
The piece of steel could be part of a planetary gear or part of a snap ring. If you still have the pan off, I'd put in a drain plug if you don't have one already. Then after a few weekends, I'd drain the fluid and filter it thru a paint strain and see if any more bits of metal show up.

The black stuck is kinda normal. It is the clutch plates wearing off the 'excess'/'high spots' lining and seating.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think the piece of metal was a piece of a gear and not a piece of snapring,maybe one of the gears just had a small fracture on the edge? I'm not gonna worry about it.Is there a drain plug in my converter ?It is a TCI unit also,I cant remember if it has one or not.I know I can have the tranny flushed but I'm sure the shop probably doesnt have AN fittings to hook up to my cooler to flush it without screwin it up.
Have you guys heard any bad things about TCI trannies? Is 560 hp and 550 ft lbs to much for this trans.I wouldnt think so!
Well If this one gives up the goat I'm gonna convert to a C-4.
BOB

1 - 5 of 5 Posts