Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to change the heads on my 351C 70 Mach 1 without pulling the engine? I don't see any way of unbolting the exhaust manifold given the small amount of space next to the shock towers and the fact that the bolts almost point straight down. But I was thinking that I could lift out the head and the manifold together. Is this feasible or is it too tight?

·
Registered
53 Posts
I know that in my '72 Torino I was able to take off the manifolds in that. I guess i have the inner fender wells removed as well though. I helped a buddy take his heads out of his 71 mustang and he just took the heads and manifold out together. Hope this helps!!
Jade

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That does help, because I would like take the time and do the work myself. I was talking to the guy at the shop and it would save some serious dough if I don't have him do it.

But I am also going to put on a set of hooker supercomp headers while I'm at it to reap all the benefits of the new cam. He was saying that you must lift the engine to get these on because of where the motor mounts are.
But if I can sneak the heads out with the exhaust manifold on, could I sneak the new heads with a set of headers back in?

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Good Luck. With my 73 I do not think it would have been possible...or atleast I think it would have taken a HELL of a lot more time
The Mechanics shop I used said we work on motors here, not cars, so maybe that is a reason for pulling the motor insread? Good Luck!

Jeff Given

·
Premium Member
836 Posts
I was able to pull my heads on my 351c in the 71 torino without taking the exhaust manifolds off, just disconnected them from the pipes, and lifted the heads, with manifolds attached. Worked well, altho was a bit heavy to lift.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts