Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever spray painted their conv't top to another color?

My car is turquois/black interior, white conv't top.

The white top had been on the car since the late 70's. To get it really clean, I'd have to scrub the crap out of it, and I don't think I want to do that.

And, I'd like to have a black top. I figure it would better match the black interior while bringing out some of the belt line chrome.

Paints are pretty good these days. I spray painted my rear side panels black, and you'd never know they were once beige.

The car never sees bad weather, so rain/hot sun are not an issue.

Just kicking this around, but has anybody ever done it?

·
Premium Member
3,641 Posts
dont know ,but the paint might not be flexible enuff ...
when putting top up/down and may crack and peel...

·
Registered
10,312 Posts
... To get it really clean, I'd have to scrub the crap out of it, and I don't think I want to do that.
If you're trying to avoid the cleaning part, then I think you're screwed either way. If you don't get it really clean, no matter what you spray on it, it won't last and it will end-up twice as bad and double the work to fix right. I haven't done a convertible top, but if doing vinyl interior parts, polyvinyl bumper covers, air dams, etc. is any clue - you'll have to clean it spotlessly down into every pore anyway.

If it helps, I have found a combination of soaking, a motorized scrubber brush, and carefully controlled pressure washing to work wonders on original tops I've had.

David

·
Administrator
21,661 Posts
X2 what Psig said. I don't think there is a way to get it clean enough to use the vinyl paint on it and have it stay looking good for long. Then it might look twice as bad as it did just dirty white. They do make special cleaners for tops but i don't know how well they work. I haven't had a top since the 70s and back then it was a scrub brush, cleanser and bleach but it also wasn't a top in good condition then and had tears in the corners starting. Save up and have it replaced with a black one sometime down the road maybe. I don't know what it costs now to have one replaced, i checked several years ago for my '64 and it was round 1200-1500. A top alone i think is still around $250 if you wanted to brave the installation yourself. I just envision pieces of black paint coming off and white showing through.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Guess I'll do a mild/medium cleaning this spring.

As for replacement, the shop who installed my top in the late 70's told me that this is the car's last top due to the bad shape of the front bow.

I don't know if the bow is repairable, but, unless the top has to be replaced, due to a tree branch falling or something like that, I'm not going to look into it.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I think you are thinking in the wrong direction. Don't paint it, dye it. Just saying that paint will flake off but if you dye it it may stay. Seen a lot of interiors re-dyed a different color and they seem to hold up. Just an idea though.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
VINYL PAINT IS SCHITT!

It DOES NOT last as long as regular enamel in a rattle can.... A new top is under $1000 bucks.... Start saving :)
FE, vinyl paint is lasting real good on my interior rear side panels and my dash pad, and I guess you missed my front bow comments. I have no idea what's under the front of my convt top.

Before I found an 500XL convert donor car (for the rear seats), I painted my Galaxie 500 turquoise rear seats black to match the 500XL black buckets.

Can't remember having any issues, but the rear seats didn't really get a lot of traffic.

Start saving?

Shirley you jest!! I'm retired. We don't save. We spend.

·
Administrator
21,661 Posts
I had forgotten about your header bow. Remember you mentioning it way back and those things are like almost unobtanium in good condition as i spent a lot of time trying to find one to replace mine and never did. Had friends checking around for me all over the country, no luck. I have seen one now and then on ebay and not sure just how bad yours is but they might of been better and more repairable. I would think a good body shop or sheetmetal place could rebuild it as i'm guessing some of your tabs that hold the tack strip are rusted off and big holes at each end where water sits in them and rusts them out.

Dying might work if you get it really clean as dye sometimes tends to saturate one area more than another and you'll have a appaloosa kinda. Too bad there wasn't a way for you to get your hands on an old top from someone's car that they were replacing so you could do a practice run on an old top and see what it does.

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
I don't remember the header bow thread, but I dislike and haven't had good luck with vinyl paint...

I vinyl painted the mustang dash from palomino to black, and when washing the dash pad with WINDEX about 3 weeks later the schitt TOOK THE PAINT OFF! And I've had other issues in the past...

That's why I don't like it.

·
Administrator
21,661 Posts
My seat backs and console are painted with vinyl paint. After painting one of the seat shells i took a key and scratched it to see how easy it would come off and it didn't at all so did the other seat and console. These have that plastic like or whatever coating but i don't know how it is on vinyl. My console doesn't look so great on the lid anymore but it's been 12 yrs on there, a lot of sliding over the console by my son and others to sit in the passenger seat since '04 and the seat belt buckle whacking it many times over so that part is no surprise. I think all i used to clean it before painting was a scrub brush and dawn dish soap and maybe window cleaner after that but not so sure on the window cleaner part.

·
Registered
208 Posts
That is one beautiful Ford you have there Mr. Beeler.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I don't remember the header bow thread, but I dislike and haven't had good luck with vinyl paint...

I vinyl painted the mustang dash from palomino to black, and when washing the dash pad with WINDEX about 3 weeks later the schitt TOOK THE PAINT OFF! And I've had other issues in the past...

That's why I don't like it.
Wow, bummer.

I got my dashpad (red) off 63 Galaxie convert that had been sitting, top down, for who knows how long in a Pa wrecking yard. This was in the early 80's when I did the Galaxie 500/Galaxie 500XL clone.

I have never had to repaint the dash, and we're going on 30+ years. And, I'm assuming here, but paint quality must have improved in 30 years.

I use mostly ArmorAll to shine her up before carshows.

But, I'll keep my fingers crossed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts