Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi again. I have recentley purchased a nearly rust-free 1965 fairlane with inline 6 and 3 speed manual gearbox. I have driven it around for a couple of days and now im starting to think that a 289 would be a nice addition to the car. I do now have a stupid(?) question about this swap, can i use the inline 6:s transmission, or do i have to get one for a v8 specifficley?
I have searched the web some, but just as those people around me, most seem to swap in a automatic trans while they're at it, but i like the feel of manually changing a collumnshifter car.

Another q while I'm at it, do the 65 fairlane have a different boltpattern than later fordes? The po. has changed out the rear axle and he had to enlarge the boltholes in the mags to get them to fit, axle looks like a 8 or 9" to me (well, third member axle, dont have a clue what its comming from, might have to get in there and check up closer)

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Should be an 8" if its stock rear, there is a way to tell if its a 9", something to do with a socket wrench fitting on the bottom bolt, but someone who knows more than i will chime in here.
I don;t think the 6 trans will bolt to a 289, early 5 bolt or later 6 bolt.
And if i recall that 1-6 3 speed is not very strong.
For all kinds of great info u should join the Fairlane Club of America, lots of good advise, parts & Fairlane minded people & the 1/4ly magazine is full of Tech, Fairlanes, parts & shows!

·
Registered
407 Posts
Hi again. I have recentley purchased a nearly rust-free 1965 fairlane with inline 6 and 3 speed manual gearbox. I have driven it around for a couple of days and now im starting to think that a 289 would be a nice addition to the car. I do now have a stupid(?) question about this swap, can i use the inline 6:s transmission, or do i have to get one for a v8 specifficley?
I have searched the web some, but just as those people around me, most seem to swap in a automatic trans while they're at it, but i like the feel of manually changing a collumnshifter car.

Another q while I'm at it, do the 65 fairlane have a different boltpattern than later fordes? The po. has changed out the rear axle and he had to enlarge the boltholes in the mags to get them to fit, axle looks like a 8 or 9" to me (well, third member axle, dont have a clue what its comming from, might have to get in there and check up closer)
Um, if your not going to use the I6. I can use it for at least some parts if not a re-build for my 62 Fairlane, if ya willin' to part with the engine....

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Why not just go with a 302? More cubes mean more free power. I'm not sure but you might have to put a larger radiator and better coil springs in to get the set up to work good.
I'm sure you can buy almost every part you'll need for the swap since it's done all the time.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, rick, might go with the 302 as well, havent bougth any engine yet so im free to choose, just summing up what i will be needing before i start tearing it apart.

13inchTires If i do the swap i wont be needing the 6 any moore, but i have a feeling that shipping that engine across the atlantic will be about 1000$ in shipping and customs alone, so i don't think its worth it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts