Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question about changing rear oil seal on my 1968 Ford Galaxie Convertible 6.4 390. I got a leak and I am taking the car to the garage to get it changed but my question or concern is. I know they got to drop the transmission to get to it but the car is overseas and I cannot get TYPE F fluid. So when they drop it will they have to replace the transmission fluid or it will stay in? Not a mechanic so I don't know. Urgent taking the car in about 12 hours from now.

·
Registered
10,315 Posts
ALWAYS verify the leak is from the rear main seal. Many rear seals are replaced and the problem is actually an intake, valve cover, or PCV hose leak running down the back of the block. Next, verify the breather and PCV system are fresh and working correctly, as crankcase pressure can force oil out of good seals if they are not. Don't pay for the wrong work or extra useless work.

The trans fluid should all be recovered and re-used. Be sure to ask them if this is true in their shop, and if not, what they will do about it. Good luck!

David

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
I know they got to drop the transmission to get to it
Hey Mr. J,
Are you SURE that they have to drop the transmission just to replace the Rear Seal?

I have a 1964 Galaxie 500 with a Manual Transmission + Overdrive, and all that has to be done to change the Rear Seal in it is to drop the Rear U-Joint, and take the Drive Shaft out of the Transmission, remove the OLD Seal, and install the NEW Seal.

I also have a 1967 Dodge P200 Postal Van with an automatic transmission, and just recently replaced the Rear Seal in it and only had to take the Drive Shaft down to get to the Rear Seal. It was about a thirty minute job, and I'm not an accomplished mechanic either.

Your Gal, being a 1968 MAY have to have the Transmission taken out, but it doesn't seem to me that it would be necessary.

HTH

JC

·
Registered
10,315 Posts
Ha! Good catch JC. Here I was ASSuming a rear MAIN seal. So Jolobo - which is it - rear engine or rear transmission seal?

David

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ha! Good catch JC. Here I was ASSuming a rear MAIN seal. So Jolobo - which is it - rear engine or rear transmission seal.

It is rear engine seal, I noticed there is leak in two places the oil pan gasket and the rear engine seal, area located between oil pan and transmission pan. I replaced the trans pan gasket back in the states but ran out of time for rear engine seal. But my mechanic clearly said in the future I need to change the rear engine seal and the trans has to be dropped to reach it.

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
Ha! Good catch JC.
Hey David,
He said Rear Oil Seal, so he probably meant the Rear Main Seal. But he got to talking about the Transmission, and I immediately ASSumed he was talking about the Rear Transmission Seal.

Here I was ASSuming a rear MAIN seal.
You are probably right.

So Jolobo - which is it - rear engine or rear transmission seal?
Yeah Jolobo, which is it? :) I'm hoping it's your Rear Transmission Seal because that is nowhere near the problem that a Rear Main Oil Seal is.

JC

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Rear main come out the bottom for sure. I just did one on an engine stand. Most older ones are rope and are replaced with rubber/steel. Bearings need to be inspected for wear.If you have copper showing then new bearings are in order. If you have too much play from worn bearings you will still have a leak.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi JC,

Well they dropped everything out transmission etc but I went to visit the shop and to find out the delay and I walked under the car and the guy is showing me how the new seal(rubber with metal) inside will not go around the crank shaft without removing it. The old rope type could fit but the new style no. From what I see there is no room to get that top half of the seal around the crankshaft without removing it. Does that sound correct? There are no special tools that can get the rubber/metal seal around the shaft without removing it? Man lot of work for a cheap part but I love my Galaxie. Any ideas will help

Hey Mr. J,
Are you SURE that they have to drop the transmission just to replace the Rear Seal?

I have a 1964 Galaxie 500 with a Manual Transmission + Overdrive, and all that has to be done to change the Rear Seal in it is to drop the Rear U-Joint, and take the Drive Shaft out of the Transmission, remove the OLD Seal, and install the NEW Seal.

I also have a 1967 Dodge P200 Postal Van with an automatic transmission, and just recently replaced the Rear Seal in it and only had to take the Drive Shaft down to get to the Rear Seal. It was about a thirty minute job, and I'm not an accomplished mechanic either.

Your Gal, being a 1968 MAY have to have the Transmission taken out, but it doesn't seem to me that it would be necessary.

HTH

JC

·
Registered
185 Posts
If it is a 2 piece seal, the upper can be removed with a simple little tool that screws into the end of it and then pulls it out. or talking a small straight screwdriver lightly tapping on the end of the seal making it turn on the crankshalf till it is at the bottom of the crank. we changed the one in my 289 while the engine and trans were still in the car. just unbolted the engine mounts , jacked the front of the engine up carefully, lowered the pan enough to get the rear main cap off, removed the 2 1/2 seals , replaced and put it together. never leaked. wasnt that hard and only took about a hour to do start to finish.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If it is a 2 piece seal, the upper can be removed with a simple little tool that screws into the end of it and then pulls it out. or talking a small straight screwdriver lightly tapping on the end of the seal making it turn on the crankshalf till it is at the bottom of the crank. we changed the one in my 289 while the engine and trans were still in the car. just unbolted the engine mounts , jacked the front of the engine up carefully, lowered the pan enough to get the rear main cap off, removed the 2 1/2 seals , replaced and put it together. never leaked. wasnt that hard and only took about a hour to do start to finish.
Guys,

When it rains it pours, took my car to "AC DELCO"agent cause they are suppose to be major garage here( remember car is overseas) and anyway my car went from small leak to a pouring ocean( I cant find enough words to explain my frustration). I think the idiot put the seal on the wrong way,lip not facing to engine so I will take car to Ford dealer but I will order new seals.

Anyway before when I ordered the Mr. Gasket 7129 rebuild kit it came with one pack of rear main seals and one pack of rear main cap seals, they both looked the same. Anyway what is the difference between them rear main seal and rear main seal cap? Do you normally use both, both meaning 4(each pack got two halves pieces), I need to know before I make the new order

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Guys,

Urgent assistant needed, took car had rear main seal replaced, valve cover gaskets, oil pan gasket but oil is coming from somewhere and we cant figure it out. When driving the car and stop after a few minutes man oil is everywhere on the bottom as if it is blowing in from somewhere. We are sure all the gaskets I mentioned are good and torque correctly and when the car is idle its hard to see( car is lifted up on shop lift so I can walk under and see clearly) from where the oil coming is driving me crazy and its not a little bit of oil, heeeeellllllllp please!! One guy said it could be some type of "blow back" meaning since all gaskets are good its forcing itself out somewhere else( like dip pan stick, which I don't believe but man I cant call it

·
Registered
841 Posts
If it got worse after the seal replacement, its still the seal. It was just installed incorrectly. If its the same, check the back of the intake manifold. Other then that, the only places that can leak on the back of the block are the galley plugs and cam plug.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If it got worse after the seal replacement, its still the seal. It was just installed incorrectly. If its the same, check the back of the intake manifold. Other then that, the only places that can leak on the back of the block are the galley plugs and cam plug.
Gary thanks a million quick questions
is it possible that everything is ok and it can cause those galley plugs and cam plug could leak after the pressure is right in all those other areas( seal, gaskets etc)? also if it is the seal shouldn't i see the leak when the car is idle or is it possible the seal is acting up when we get to moving?

·
Registered
185 Posts
New gaskets and seals do not mean they are workign correctly or installed correctly.. I've seen the Cork gaskets squeeze out from the rear of intake manifolds and leak, I've seen 2 piece rear seals installed 90 degrees out and then leak like a siv as the main cap on mine had a pin in it to keep it from rotating.. the prev owner thought it was to butt the ends of it together.. could also be leaking at the rear of the oil pan if that seal that covers the rear cap is not seated correctly. only ever seen a cam shaft cap leak from rust once. hopefully it is something simple for you. my first suspect would be the rear seal incorrectly installed.

·
Premium Member
5,863 Posts
Seems like you could take off the fan belt and then without all the wind it would be easier to see the source of the leak. Maybe check the oil filter & housing... could be PS fluid, too, cracked hose maybe? Anyone forget to replace the oil pan to timing cover bolots?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
How did the bearings look when the rear main was out? Worn bearings will cause seal to leak. Was lip facing the correct way? Did it have ropes seal originally?
yes they had originally the rope seals but I cannot find them so I got the new style and yes lip facing toward engine and bearings look excellent.

·
Premium Member
3,338 Posts
I had to replace one twice, back in highschool days...when rolling the upper half in, it 'shaved' a tiny bit off the backside on the square edge of the block- didnt think it would hurt...yep it leaked...dont recall what car it even was(elcamino probably), but remember getting the pan off was the hard part, and didnt pull the tranny...pan to crossmember clearance makes for a real fun time pulling the pan on most cars, even with mounts unbolted/engine lifted, exhaust and everything else prevents much room.

good luck, gotta be difficult bigtime being overseas- hope they dont take advantage of your $ituation. I'm kinda wondering about the pulling of the tranny- do european cars maybe use a onepiece rear seal?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts