Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, to get my little 68 falcon on the road, I was hoping I could use the 6 cyl c4 for a time (I have a built AOD I will be using later on, but need to save up for drivelines, rearend, crossmember, rims/tires for v8, ect) 6 cyl is blown up (valve dropped), no reason to put it back in. I have a bone stock 351W that I will be putting in the car. I know it will be hard on the 6cyl trans but for now that is what I would like to do. I have a couple questions.

I have the bellhousing for the v8 c4 and and I want to know how hard it is to swap. I took a c4 apart once, but can't recall exactly how they go together, or if it is technical to do...

also, will I be able to use the 6 cyl trq converter on the 351 flexplate? flexplate came from a c6 or aod trans, I can find any flexplate if need be.

thanks!

·
Registered
10,316 Posts
For reference - if it's a pan-fill, it's as simple as unbolting the old bell and bolting-up the new. For a case-fill (as most I6 C4s were), the only 'gotcha' is maintaining the pump in position while doing the swap. As both the pump and bell are held by the same bolts, you must take care to prevent the pump from moving as you swap bells. I usually do this with the trans standing (secured) on the output shaft so the pump just wants to naturally sit there. If the pump moves, not only must you reassemble the guts into proper placement, but the pump gasket must be replaced. No biggie, just take your time and all will go well.

No, the torque converter is a no-go and the flex must be replaced. Also, even though it's a temporary, you'll fry the little guts of the I6 C4 with any power. I'd suggest a shift kit minimally, or a version of the "Burly 4x4" shift mods if you're strapped for cash. Still, stay off the go pedal.

David

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah, with all that hassle it might be better (and more cost effective) to just wait on the AOD...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts