Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
I had swapped to a serpentine reverse rotation setup on my 64 289. At the last minute I realized my nice standard flex fan would not work. I bought a reverse rotation Hayden that cooled great but had a max RPM listing of 6,000 RPM. I was going to go electric.

The first step was to look and lay out what I had. I used card board to kind of lay it out. I needed to know how much clearance and where. I had thoughts of a large single fan but did not think it would fit.

This was the first attempt with cheap auction fans. Careful! The listing on these fans was more air than quality name brand fans. They seemed to move tons of air but when put to the test my engine would over heat at 85 degrees at idle after about 10 minutes. That was not going to work at a car show or stuck in traffic. I tried Derale's that I bought at a local speed shop.

These cooled the car so I will try and show how I did it. I did already use a universal Northern radiator since the stock one no longer kept a modified engine cool. I got one with the lower hose on the opposite side while I was at it. I used common parts in this swap.

I noticed after market shrouds had dampers or louvers in them. When I asked about it I was told at speed you need to relieve air to keep from over heating. You are looking at two 4" dryer vents. I figured they would seal well with the fans, hold up to the temperatures, and work reliably. Now we need to run them. I used a variable speed Flexalite controller.

I would use that fuse no matter what controls it. The variable speed and other features are nice. I would spend a few extra bucks for a quality control if you can.

It came with a 1/4" sensor.I drilled out a compression fitting so could install it in my intake instead of pushing it in the radiator.

There was not a lot of clearance. That is why the lay out is important.

The final install was worth it. This is a mod that cheap parts will come back to haunt you. I know.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
you using the stock size radiator? and what size are the fans?
The radiator is a universal fit aluminum from Northern. 2" core, about 19"x19". With the mechanical fan spinning it was hard to get it up to temp so I used a hotter thermostat. The fans are 10" and with the variable fan speed it comes up to temp and holds nice. The Derale fan was rated at hundreds less CFM than the auction fans. Derale's ratings are probably honest because they moved more air with less noise.

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello

What's with the vent area's? High speed flow?

:D
Sorry I did not see this. I asked that same question to some vendors at car shows. It seemed all the after market shrouds had more openings than just the fan. As you guessed it was for high speed flow. I was told some cars will over heat at speed without the extra venting.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts