Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1966 comet with a 302, only voltage reading from Alt, volatage reg. is what the battery level is at. Alt and regulator are new. Wireing between the two are okay.
Any ideas?
thanks

·
Premium Member
5,912 Posts
I have a 1966 comet with a 302, only voltage reading from Alt, volatage reg. is what the battery level is at. Alt and regulator are new. Wireing between the two are okay.
Any ideas?
thanks
If I may respond in kind.. volatg reg is wny short isnt not grndded only wiriers matter for currnent bee kool dropout of skool welkom to form.
putts

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
If I may respond in kind.. volatg reg is wny short isnt not grndded only wiriers matter for currnent bee kool dropout of skool welkom to form.
putts
your best grammer or k/b queen b/s

remember its a member in need of help

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
LOWER THE SHIELDS MR. ZULU!

I want to hear this...

putts
your best grammer or k/b queen b/s

remember its a member in need of help
:confused:

Now there are two D!CK TRACEY characters here, MUMBLES and MUMBLES JR... :frown:

Raise the shields Mr. Zulu....

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Do you know how to full field the regulator?

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
LOWER THE SHIELDS MR. ZULU!

I want to hear this...

:confused:

Now there are two D!CK TRACEY characters here, MUMBLES and MUMBLES JR... :frown:

Raise the shields Mr. Zulu....
then there is you Kluts . hang in there , one day you might make ....... mumbles the turd . with hard work you'll make it , many rungs to climb . , just need a good HAND grip

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
As hinted at earlier, check that the voltage regulator and alternator are well grounded. Does the dash light for the alternator come on?

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
Sorry Canadian guy.... These dudes like to help but nobody said jack schitt that actually WILL help.

You listen to old sparky here and I'll set you straight.

You have one of the following, and don't listen to the whiners.

1: A BROKEN WIRE.

2: A bad alternator (YES even new they can be bad)

3: A Bad Voltage Regulator

That's it. You have one of those 3 things, and I challenge ANYONE to say it's not so...

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I'll take that challenge. I had the same problem decades ago, ended up the voltage regulator wasn't grounded well enough through the mounting screws due to rust. No broken wires, no bad regulator, no bad alternator.

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
I'll take that challenge. I had the same problem decades ago, ended up the voltage regulator wasn't grounded well enough through the mounting screws due to rust. No broken wires, no bad regulator, no bad alternator.
plus grounding for alt. , painted brackets/engine = no output or very low

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
Does the car have a amp gauge?

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
You lose!

NEW ALTERNATOR NEW REGULATOR. Where is the rust?

:D Gotcha!
If you fully read his post, @ the mounting point. The mounting surface also has to be clean.

And please stop tweaking everyone's' butt and screaming GOTCHA!... :frown:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Are you wanting to keep the car all stock or is modification acceptable? Many of the old Ford truck guys swap out the charging system for the 3G alternator. The reasons we do it is output, small size & single wire hookup. Everything is internal. If you are running an original wiring harness anyone's guess is as good as anyone else's. The wiring is old & brittle along with if a stock untouched cluster you could have issues there as well. It will not affect output but will affect how it reads. Keep in mind you are dealing with a vehicle that is 40+ yrs old. Plan on everything in need of attention.

If you do a search for 3G alternator swap you should be able to find quite a bit of information on it.

·
Premium Member
2,182 Posts
Op's gone. I run a GM style chrome 1wire alternator. Best thing I ever did. One (and I mean 1) wire from alternator to battery.

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
DOH!!!! But I DID read THIS in his first post! So I'm right yet again because for once I paid attention in class. :)
what gage wire for regulator to body ground is used ?
color code would be a plus

you did pay attention in class didnt you

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
what gage wire for regulator to body ground is used ?
color code would be a plus

Black with red stripe would be my guess. Doesn't matter though ... his problem is that the belt broke ;)

Seriously, if we asked why the alternator and reg were changed in the first place, may or may not give a clue based on reply.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts