Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This weekend I moved the battery to the trunk. I used the kit that I got from Summit and after about 5 hours I was done. I try to start the car and it turned slower than usual but started. I went around the neighborhood and came back. I was also testing the new Detroit Locker I put in. I came back, parked it and went back in the house. Later I decided to take it for another spin and came back. I accidentally let go of the clutch before turning it off(I was really tired). It turned off on me. When I tried to restart it, it wouldn't start. I checked the battery and it had 12.3 volts in it. After draining it I decided I would leave it alone and figure it out. I used 2 gauge battery cables that came with the kit for the battery to relay and battery to kill switch, but since I didn’t have any more I used a 4 gauge cable from the switch to ground which I put the truck floor. After reading the article in the archive I am thinking I have this problem because of the ground, but what could be the problem? Should I bolt the ground cable to the frame rail?

·
Registered
977 Posts
You need to run at least 2 gauge for all of the cables. Fo the least voltage drop, run the negative cable all the way back to the engine, and ground the cable there. If you do not have one, you should also run a ground strap from the body to the engine. If you need a flexible cable, use arc-welder cable. It should be available at your nearest welding shop, in any length you need.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Dude, brianfulwood is correct. Use at least 2 guage wire for all battery cables, and definitely run the ground to your engine block. What I did was run the ground to the frame rail, and on the same bolt, connect from there to the enging directly. Do this and you will have no problems. The resistance through the chassis is far greater than a 2 guage copper cable...

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
I had the same problem on a stock chassis until I ran one to the front of the car. My race car doesn't have this problem. Bigger the wire, the better off you are. These guys are right, ground the engine to the chassis as good as you can too!

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. One more thing. Where can I get a 20 foot 2 guage battery cable from? I haven't seen any a Kragen or Autozone.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts