Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a chance to pick up a 5.0 out of an 88 Crown Vic with about 90K miles on it for fxjr's mustang. Have heard it run and sounds perfect. Engine will include all accessories. Are these models speed density or mass air? We have the option of going with a carb system, besides the CV intake won't work on a mustang (exists wrong side)so we'll have to change it out anyway. Do you think $190 is fair? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
$190??? You're kidding, right? I'm driving 1000 miler to pick up 460 short blocks... I'd go a long way for a complete 5.0 as I need one for my '90 T-Bird & all them around here are $600/$1000.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
..no, not kidding! One of my customers(a ford master tech) has his own shop and has been buying salvage cars and repairing and selling them with salvage titles. The only "catch" is we have to pull it out, which is no biggie. By the way, the $190 figure is for the whole car. Anybody need any 88 Crown Vic parts?

·
Premium Member
836 Posts
For only $190, go for it! Pick N Pull around here charges something like 100-150 for an engine, and you dont even get a chance to hear it run before you pull it. Getting a whole car with engine is more than worth it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Not too sure about the mass air on those but that is easy to check for a mass air meter on the inlet tube to the intake. Also, this probably isn't a HO model but just the base output 5.0. Cam is different, heads, intake, but not much different. Alot of ppl know more about this than me.

·
Registered
205 Posts
So.... if I had the opportunity to pick up a 302 HO outta a 86' Crown Vic Police Interceptor for $100 Cdn. and didn't act I would be outta my mind right? Only in my case it's already out, plus I get the exhaust manifolds, cats, and a 1968 4-barrel dual plane!

·
Registered
809 Posts
The '86-'91 Crown Vic/Grand Marquis ALL use a low output 5.0 rated at 150-155 HP. They use the crappy E6SE heads, small 50mm throttle body, wimpy cam(but they are rollers), and lack the tube headers of the 5.0 HO. Except for a Mass Air Calif version in '91 they are all Speed Densety. On the plus side, the intake is reversable. '86-'88 Thunderbirds and Cougars use the same engine with the intake rotated. If you stay EFI the wiring will be the main headache. For sake of ease you should find a wrecked 5.0 Stang and just swap all the parts.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TurboCoupe50 on 4/11/02 6:07am ]</font>

·
Registered
809 Posts
I'm by no means a expert on building engine combos, but more cubes ain't gonna hurt. Since 302's are so plentiful I'd go for the added cubes. You can check out my mods in the my cars section. What will you be running it in?

·
Registered
205 Posts
I would be running it in a 64' Fairlane 500 that weighs in at 2930lbs. Right now it has the stock 260 (with the exception of a mild comp cam), backed by an early 64 C4/Cruise-O-Matic tranny, a set of 2.80:1 gears spinnin in a 8" "open" Ford rear, stock converter, and straight pipes all the way back with some free-flow mufflers. I still wanna stay the 260 route because it is a real solid motor and the fact that it is a 5-bolt and I have the tranny to match(although it does have the removable bell-housing). The first thing I want to do is swap the rear gears to 3.xx:1 posi and yet still keep drivability at high speeds and decent mileage. The rest I was going to leave to the opinion of you guys cuz' I figure you've pretty well been there done that.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
To cut to the chase, how much do you want to spend both short term, and down the road? It's an essential question to answer because a few add on mods can make a big difference, but some would be wasted if you have bigger plans later. My first step would be to put in a steeper gear, like 350 or so along with your posi. What's you're intake/carb combo? A simple 40 mod like a K&N filter and an open element air cleaner can catch you 15-20 horses.

·
Registered
205 Posts
For me, it's not about how much it costs, but balancing the drivability and fun factor. For my plans, weiand stealth intake, a good carb, whether holley, grant, or edelbrock I really don't care. Stock converter, shift kit, 3.50:1 posi, set of GT-40 aluminum heads, roller rockers/hyd. cam with some decent specs, Hooker Super Comp headers, already have a pertronix ignition, and I will probably up the CR to 9.5:1 and bore to 289 c.u.i and have the motor balanced? Oh yeah almost forgot, when this build is done, it's DONE, no future plans, if I really want some that can do serious ass haulin' I'll buy something else

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 2FST4U on 4/12/02 4:37am ]</font>

·
Registered
20 Posts
the 260s are pretty pathetic in all but a light weight falcon.there are no hipo parts for them either. go to a 302 KB

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Weird how some people can drive 1000 miles for a 460 short block. Out here, we get them a dime a dozen, literally. Same way with 351w's...in fact, today a guy paid me $20 to get a 351 out of his shop. I've got a 460 short block out in the shop taking up space (new pistons, rings, bearings, HD rods, Lunati cam..etc), and cant seem to sell it! I guess there's no demand for it here in Arkansas

·
Registered
739 Posts
If you are going to put several thousand dollars into building it (which your list indicates) then getting a $200 rebuildable 302 shortblock will net you 42 extra cubes for the money. That is the cheapest upgrade on the list. For the price of an intake, you get lots more grunt, which leverages the effect of all the stuff on your list. Let's say you get the 260 to make 1.1hp per cube, or 286hp. The 302 will make 332. What $200 bolt on can you buy that will net 46hp? If your are going to do it once, don't be penny wise and pound foolish.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts