Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
great write-up,thank you.My question is what determined where you drilled the two mounting holes in the brackets?I understand they need to line up on the spindle,but in the pic you can see that they are offset from center.

·
Premium Member
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
great write-up,thank you.My question is what determined where you drilled the two mounting holes in the brackets?I understand they need to line up on the spindle,but in the pic you can see that they are offset from center.
I installed a rotor on the spindle, and placed the caliper on the rotor with the brake pads in place, making sure there was clearance between the caliper and the rotor. I applied a small amount of air pressure through the brake fitting opening so the piston would clamp down on the rotor, and I used a transfer punch to mark the holes in the plate.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Just out of curiosity, what is the dimension between centers of the caliper mounting bolts holes on the brackets? The reason I'm asking is because I was thinking of doing something similar except using twin piston Mustang GT aluminum PBR calipers That I already have. I was wondering if I could use those $8 brackets and re-drilling them for the PBR's.

·
Registered
739 Posts
F15 you are rock solid. That is yet another tremendous write up with clear logic and excellent pictures. FM is lucky to have you. Your ingenuity, craftsmanship and productivity are a rare combo.
Great job, thanks so much for putting it together.

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
Very nice write up. I like the metric setup I used but wonder if I had seen this two years ago if I would have tried this. When I bought my metric calipers they were the 2.75 and I see Willwood makes aluminum metrics now. I also wonder why my metric calipers new were about $85 if they are smaller

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is a very interesting thread. It caught my eye a coupe days ago. Ive done a little research and have a couple questions.
1. The impala rotors are almost 1/2" thicker than the granada's. Was wondering if the piston being extended that much farther will have any neg effect? Binding ect.. Maybe a 70 camaro caliper would be better. Its 1/4'' thinner than the impala with the same size piston and bolt pattern.
2. I also compared the 2 diff wheel bearings between my 67 mustang and the granada. The outer races are slightly different on the i/d so i would think it would be important to change the races in the new rotors to the ones made for whatever you are putting them in. I will be attempting this on my mustang soon and any input would be appreciated...

·
Premium Member
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
This is a very interesting thread. It caught my eye a coupe days ago. Ive done a little research and have a couple questions.
1. The impala rotors are almost 1/2" thicker than the granada's. Was wondering if the piston being extended that much farther will have any neg effect? Binding ect.. Maybe a 70 camaro caliper would be better. Its 1/4'' thinner than the impala with the same size piston and bolt pattern.
2. I also compared the 2 diff wheel bearings between my 67 mustang and the granada. The outer races are slightly different on the i/d so i would think it would be important to change the races in the new rotors to the ones made for whatever you are putting them in. I will be attempting this on my mustang soon and any input would be appreciated...
The bearings and races were exactly the same from the Falcon to the Granada, but I would compare what you have in your application. I use the Impala caliper as I have used if in the past on my circle track cars and it is usually easier to find and the difference in rotor thickness affects nothing, no binding etc. The Camaro caliper would work as well.

Tom

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thanks and a couple comments for those following.

The thicker rotor is better because more braking power means more heat and the heat needs to go somewhere. A thinner rotor will work but if you use it hard will warp soon than a thicker one.

The 'heavier' and thincker Impala caliper has a reduced chance of bending during use, i.e. more durable.

If you're not certain about where to drill the holes try taking the picture from the original write up and enlarge it until it matches the $8 plate and you now have a template. I'd still do a trial fit.

I saw the air hose tie wrapped to the frame rail and wondered why, now I know, that is an interesting idea and way to mock everything up.

Last comment, is I've done some various swaps like these in the past, different year brakes, power steering and what not; what changed the most is the spindles of the late 60's Fords (bearing, ball joint and tie rod holes). Once in to the 70's things seem to be more consistent. A swap in to a 70 Mustang was bolt on and I even used the Granada spindle.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Huskinhano Using the Mustang PBR calipers works well too. I did a swap on my Dad's 68 Fairlane this past summer using Granada spindles with the dual piston Mustang calipers. Made some adapter brackets. Very simple to do and it is all Ford parts. Works great and the calipers are nice and light as they are mostly aluminum.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Sweet write up Tom! Gonna be trying something like this soon. So get ready to have me over bugging you with questions.

First one is, do you think these calipers will work with 1.25" thick rotors?

·
Registered
2 Posts
An update on the brakes on my 67 mustang...
I used 7/16x24 to 3an adapter. 3an to 3an 18'' line. 3an to 7/16x20 90 degree elbow. I ordered everything this post said without doing any research on my car, and had to do an exchange for what I have now. My bad... I'll let you know how it stops in the next couple days. I'm also trying to post an image. Not sure how.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Any need for a dust/splash shield? Great write up, now I will have to dust off the 63 Falcon spindles and give this a try.

Wayne in North Texas

·
Registered
3 Posts
If I were to apply the same concept to the rear and make my 67 Mustang 4 wheel disk, which master cylinder would I use? It's my understanding that the 74 came with power disk drum or manual disk/drum or manual drum/drum. So what could I use for a manual disk/disk?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Also, I am having trouble finding the 3/16" inverted flare to #4 adapter fittings on speedway's website, the part number you posted comes up with several different sizes but not the 3/16 to #4 fittings you describe. There is an "item" number next to each one of those do you happen to have that?

·
Premium Member
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Also, I am having trouble finding the 3/16" inverted flare to #4 adapter fittings on speedway's website, the part number you posted comes up with several different sizes but not the 3/16 to #4 fittings you describe. There is an "item" number next to each one of those do you happen to have that?
6174029 is the number I have.

21 - 40 of 64 Posts