Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Murrays auto parts has a cheap ProXone Mig200 welder for sale this week $149. Im looking to use it for welding up my exhuast and a bung for my return line. You guys have any experience with this brand? I know its probably cheap china crap but figure renting one would cost me at least $100.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Just remember, you get what you pay for. I hate welders that run on 110v. If you can afford to step up to a 220v mig you will be much better off and welding will be much easier. I am also assuming that for $149 you are getting flux core and not gas shielded which is a real pain in the ass to work with. Do yourself a favor and get a halfway decent machine with gas shielding, you won't believe how useful it will become and you'll be glad when it comes to welding up thicker material. Just my two cents.

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
On 2006-11-06 12:39, blown68 wrote:
Just remember, you get what you pay for. I hate welders that run on 110v. If you can afford to step up to a 220v mig you will be much better off and welding will be much easier. I am also assuming that for $149 you are getting flux core and not gas shielded which is a real pain in the ass to work with. Do yourself a favor and get a halfway decent machine with gas shielding, you won't believe how useful it will become and you'll be glad when it comes to welding up thicker material. Just my two cents.
Why do you keep saying that? "you get what you pay for' I have a Miller welder that I paid $650.00 for, eight or nine years ago, that runs on 120 volts and I have welded more stuff than you can shake a stick at. Job site boxes, ladder racks, funnaces, exhaust systems, lawnmowers, everything from floor pans to 1/4 inch steel. I know guys that have paid much less for a wire feed at Harbor Freight and have had equally satifying results as well for what they use it for. I like my 120 welder because it is compatable with my 5000 watt generator and I can carry the two to a job site with out having to fork out 10 grand for a portable welder for small jobs and 120 is more convenient for some people.
Yes, that welder will probably do good for you. You can weld your exhaust and a mulitude of other things. You don't have to break the bank for a welder to weld 18 or16 ga. steel. If you are going to become a welder by trade, then that is a different story.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
I can see your point about those machines doing a decent job and being fine for the hobbyist on a budget and the portabilty. All I am saying is that I find a lot of guys who buy welders often find themselves welding a lot more stuff than they originally planned on welding. I just like buying something that is built with a long duty cycle which those 120v machines don't have and will usually run for years without a problem. You can pick up a used Miller machine pretty cheaply and have something that you know will handle anything you throw at it. Like I said in my previous post, just my two cents.

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
I will definitely agree that I have experience that 'should have bought the better one' one time or more. But, to answer his question I was trying to say that the welder in question would do him justice. When I bought my welder I pretty much knew what I wanted it to do. I could have bought a 220 Lincoln for a lot less. I like the Miller. just personal preference. I have a stick for heavier welding.

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
I got a Lincoln 100 flux core and its definately not a pain in the ass and i am able to lay down perfect welds on both exhaust tubing and heavier steel like the engine stand i made for FEANDGOINGBROKE that he never used-

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
On 2006-11-06 05:44, strtcar wrote:
Murrays auto parts has a cheap ProXone Mig200 welder for sale this week $149. Im looking to use it for welding up my exhuast and a bung for my return line. You guys have any experience with this brand? I know its probably cheap china crap but figure renting one would cost me at least $100.
I would make sure it has a rheostat pot to vary the current not just a hi lo switch. At that price it probably doesn't. I'm sure it will work for what you intend. BUT as others have intimated once you start gluing metal together you realize that you can MAKE STUFF! then you regret getting a small one but for 150 I'd say go for it. Good luck. Stu

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
Good luck with it. I've gotten by with my 70 amp Century with a high/low setting for years - but I had to put it on gas for it to be very useful. I'd trade it in a NY minute for a Miller 140. You'll be 1000 times better off if you get a good machine to start with. They are very handy to have. The 120s work fine, 220 is better (220, 221 whatever it takes), but buy a good brand name like Miller or Hobart.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
I absolutely love my Millermatic 210! I got it after my old Lincoln 130 gave out after 12 good years of use. I tell you that Miller machine just does such a reat job. I have had several occasions where I have had to weld some seriously thick plate and that machine lays down the most beautiful weld bead that I could never even have done with my old machine and with the duty cycle I just kept going with the bead until I reach the end with no problem. I might just get one of those little 110v machines for my house when I don't feel like coming to my shop for some little welding jobs. I guess it all depends on what you are welding. Now if they could only come out with a $150 TIG machine!

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
The cheaper welders will work fine for the once a month use. The main thing is to get one that will support gas. The get yourself some 75% argon 25% co2 trimix gas and you can make good clean welds. Fluxcore wire leaves small pockets in the weld which make it weaker. I had a little 400 hobart 135 that ran on 120v and it did most all the small jobs I had. I purchased a new millermatic 210 and it's the best welder I have ever used. It even makes welding aluminum and stainless a little easier.

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
Gas don't work in the wind.

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
true, a nice indoor environment makes it easier to work with gas sheilding, but you can still do it in an outdoor shop. You just have to turn you gas up 10 cfh or so an hour.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts