Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

Check Engine Light in 96 GT

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Stangboy69 
#1 ·
I just got a '96 GT from a buddy at work for dirt cheap. It's white with gray interior and has no power options. Anyway, it's throwing a check engine light; I had a mechanic buddy of mine pull codes and all he came up with was a lean condition signal. I suspected the C&L MAF the previous owner had installed, so I swapped it for the stock piece. The Check Engine light went off, only to come back on about 40 miles later. I'm told it's a double-trip fault so I guess I'll keep trying differant things. Anyone have any ideas?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Stangboy69 on 12/31/06 11:14am ]</font>

See less See more
#2 ·
Your computer figures out how much fuel to deliver based on how much air it sees enter the engine through the MAF. If the MAF isnt reading all the air that is going through it you will get lean codes. If there is a vacuum leak letting air into the engine, the MAF doesn't know about it and you get lean codes. These are the two most common causes I see. There are of course other possibilities.(fuel pressure/volume, o2 sensors) If the stock MAF you installed was used I'd reccomend cleaning it before you do anything else. I hope this helps, keep us posted.

#4 ·
It was from both banks. I didn't think about a vacuum leak; I checked under the hood again and noticed that the clamp holding the intake tube onto the throttle body was missing. After further inspection I found the clamp hanging loose in the engine compartment so I put it back on. I also changed the oil, as it was low and filthy. After disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes, and firing the car back up, the check engine light has stayed off so far. I have an appointment to try and smog it tomorrow. We'll see what happens. Thanks for the help 1969SCode.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.