Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Stripped down.

Restored.
So far I've not found replacements or even used ones. Thank God that I've got both of them. I'm going to take a silicone mold of the other one stripped down and make some plastic replicas just to have. Just thought I'd share a small victory in the fight against car age.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Premium Member
5,388 Posts
Wow! That is a fantastic job. Well done! :)

·
Registered
10,316 Posts
Very nice work. :tup: I was going to make replicas myself, and found a guy that does rapid prototyping that would scan the complete part into a 3D file to make reproductions from plastic, or cores for casting complete with mounting studs (for those that have them). But like so many things, it went to the back burner for more pressing projects. Let me know if you make any repro's as I'd be interested.

David

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You got it David. I'm going to do it just to see if I can. Found an old article in Car Craft and want to try it. Not sure how I'm going to mount the studs yet or if they'll be strictly stick on. The mold will only be the face and I'll have to mill the angle groove in the back by hand. The aluminum inserts from Dearborn are great, fit almost perfect just needed a minor adjustment and scissors worked great. Gotta pull the airbrush out of mothballs to chrome them though.

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How much interest is there in replica 7 Litre badges? I think I'm going to make a mold of the grille badge and make a couple because I found an old article that used one on the old Thunderbird style air cleaner. It looked very sharp and once I get my hood clearence figured out completely I may go with that. Reguardless I'm going to make a few and list a couple to pay for the adventure. Let me know what you think?

·
Registered
10,316 Posts
I would make a couple repro's, set your price based on the cost and labor extended across several sets, and then post a new thread to gauge interest with pics of the repro's. Based on the response of your pics of the final product and the price you list, you'll know if it's worth pressing forward and into other areas, like other forums, Scott Drake, NPD, Fleabay, etc.

David

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll do that once I get the materials ordered and devote a bench just for this and spend an off duty couple of days and I'll have some prototypes for your viewing pleasure.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts