Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys, is there a tool or small analyzer that you can stick in the end of your tail pipe to check your air/fuel ratio? I don't really want to weld a bung on the header and stick one of those sensors in it to find out.....those things cost some bucks and your usually need two of them.

I know you can read the plugs but I'm not that good at it. I could always take it to a dyno shop but they'd weld some bungs and go that route.

I've got a 500 cfm edelbrock on my stock 289 with long tube headers and wonder if I should put the 600 edelbrock back on? I changed the intake to one of those Action Plus low rise dual planes if that matters. I know they did a write up on this sight about "My first intake" and said the 600 edelbrock was perfect but that seems big for a bone stock 289.

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
Yes, you can use any WBO2 controller and a tailpipe clamp to do temporary readings. Actually, those are common at dyno facilities, and should be an option for you. They are also simple to make, although we've used a hose clamp to strap a sensor to a stick of welding rod and just shoved the sensor a couple feet up one tailpipe on more than one occasion. That only works on lower-powered engines or oversize exhaust, as the sensor blocks some flow in there. Don't forget the bung can be anywhere from the heads to within 2' of the tips. Any closer and you can get clean air reversion at lower power or idle, causing false lean readings.

David

1 - 2 of 2 Posts