Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't shot me for asking this as I'm a novice for sure....when checking piston to valve clearance instead of using modeling clay could one use "Silly Puddy"? You know that wonderful kids toy we all had when we were little. It's a lot less messy than clay..Thanks.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I don't see why you couldn't...

·
Registered
908 Posts
The spring method is not good enough, IMHO, too many variables.

Silly puddy works, but so does modeling clay. Modeling clay is much cheaper, and it is available at wally world. Works great.

To me, I'd rather measure the thickness of the clay left behind than try to compute the clearance by using the spring method.

Just my 2 cents.

Greg

·
Registered
991 Posts
99 out of 100 people couldnt accurately use the free drop spring method

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
Play Doh here--"only $1" for 4 little cans at the "Dollar" store.

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Just a tip about using play-do (which I did) lightly coat the valve side of it with oil to prevent it from sticking to the valve.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
On 2006-10-11 14:59, FoMoCo wrote:
Just a tip about using play-do (which I did) lightly coat the valve side of it with oil to prevent it from sticking to the valve.
I tried that earlier this summer. Oil would make the play-doh stick to the valve and/or piston, BUT take into consideration that the 3 or 4 times I tried it, the outside temps were above 105 deg. F. Next step was to just put the clay down on the piston (nothing else..just clay or in this case, play-doh) and flatten it out, then put a little bit of flour on the top of the clay and a little bit on the valves. That was the most accurate way I've done it to date. Nothing sticks other than to the top of the piston. Then you can cut it away and measure.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: mavman on 10/12/06 9:38am ]</font>

1 - 9 of 9 Posts