Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Associated Press reported today that General Motors retracted their "poorly worded" internal memo that asked employees to refer to the venerable brand only as Chevrolet, not Chevy,

In a statement, GM said that it "in no way" is discouraging anyone from using Chevy.

However, on Tuesday, Chevrolet employees in Detroit got a memo asking them to eliminate "Chevy" from their vocabulary, a strategy to promote brand consistency. This is what happens when too many high dollar 20-somethings are running the marketing department.

Here's an excerpt from the memo:

"We'd ask that whether you're talking to a dealer, reviewing dealer advertising, or speaking with friends and family, that you communicate our brand as Chevrolet moving forward," the memo read.

Today GM released this statement to quell the debacle:

Statement on the use of Chevrolet and Chevy
DETROIT -- Today’s emotional debate over a poorly worded memo on our use of the Chevrolet brand is a good reminder of how passionately people feel about Chevrolet. It is a passion we share and one we do not take for granted.

We love Chevy. In no way are we discouraging customers or fans from using the name. We deeply appreciate the emotional connections that millions of people have for Chevrolet and its products.

In global markets, we are establishing a significant presence for Chevrolet, and need to move toward a consistent brand name for advertising and marketing purposes. The memo in question was one step in that process.

We hope people around the world will continue to fall in love with Chevrolets and smile when they call their favorite car, truck or crossover “Chevy.”

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,369 Posts
Next thing you know it'll not be calling Mercury "Merc".....because it's confusing people with Mercedes Benz

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
I thought they were referred to as Ghetto Machines... :confused:

·
Premium Member
3,336 Posts
that should really help the bigwigs sleep well at night, knowing they are taking such bold/agressive steps to resurrect their company...they are just showing they are worth every penny...hope Mr Mulally is paying attention, maybe he can learn how to better Ford- everyone knows how awesome GM is compared to Ford...

ok, sorry. it just pisses me off my great great great grandkids tax dollars are helping pay these government motors clowns.

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
that should really help the bigwigs sleep well at night, knowing they are taking such bold/agressive steps to resurrect their company...they are just showing they are worth every penny...hope Mr Mulally is paying attention, maybe he can learn how to better Ford- everyone knows how awesome GM is compared to Ford...

ok, sorry. it just pisses me off my great great great grandkids tax dollars are helping pay these government motors clowns.
I dont know, I have a 94 Chevy Truck I ordered new from my brother. It now has 206,000 miles on it, doesnt burn oil blah blah. It pulled my Mustang from New Orleans to Chesapeake at 190,000 miles and didnt break a sweat (its a half ton truck). The total load - truck, trailer, car and all my crap was 10,800lbs.
It is the ONLY Chevy I ever owned, rest all Fords except on Nissan truck and a Suzuki Samurai (I was in Guam and it was under a grand) its the only brand new vehicle I have owned, except for the Volvo that I bought for my wife.
A lot of my buds have Ford trucks, do you know you have to drop the engine out of those things to change the head and gaskets. They seem to eat plugs too, and Ford charges 100 plus bucks for this tool to get the plugs out. Most of the time the plugs strip in the head, ergo having to pull the heads.
I change my own plugs, caps, rotors - reason I didnt buy the Ford, pain in the but to work on them.
I do like watching some Chevys at the track to, I think respect is a better word. Certainly not crap, now Dodge and its liquid lunch folks, there is a different story.

·
Premium Member
3,336 Posts
we got a chevy here too...wifes got a 07 avalanche, got 23 mpg on one 4000 mile trip, big/roomy, and it pulled my 69 mustang home when we moved a couple years ago. gotta say via gearing or whatever, the 5.3 'feels' like a better pulling truck than a 5.4 ford we test drove...my 06 mustang has the same 3v heads with snap off plugs in it too. no manufacturer is perfect to say the least- but Ford did a lot by putting mulally in there...dumb luck? who knows, but he turned them around via management and product, not government handouts like GM. maybe their managers just had bad luck- or maybe they sat in a room and approved 'dont say chevy' as a fix...
sadly I think GM is totally capable of producing, but styling has had too short a leash for a long time...the GTO coulda been a huge success had it looked different than every other car on the road, the camaro coulda had a early camaro nose/tailights and a decent interior...somebody approved this stuff...then too look at the 2010+ mustang rearend- ford has there share of oops' too.
in any event, fords turnaround didnt require tax dollars, and the brilliant ones at the helm didnt worry about enthusiast terminology to turn it around...just a silly thing that came from some most likely very overpaid and misguided types IMO...

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
Well said, and yep Camaro toatally missed the mark, where Challenger and Mustang got it right, except for the new tail lights.

Cars are like the military, none have it 100%, each service does something very well, that no other can do. Depends on what you want.

My 94 Chevy is a pig on power, stoplight, passing stuff. But it will pull a car or boat all day long.

If you want roomy, drive a Ford Flex, I got to have one. Funky looking and you cant tow much, but for hauling the family and driving like a car, it is awesome.

·
Registered
422 Posts
My best friends a Dealer at my local Ford dealership.. he had me come and test drive one of those new Ford Flex and yea.. all I can say is at least it isn't a Toyota Prius.. lol I think I saw Toyota giving tampons away with every purchase of a Prius

Instead of making "Chevy" no more.. why didn't they just put on their advertisement propaganda "Chevy" AND "Chevrolet" ? Most people I think would rather say Chevy vs Chevrolet. That's the government for ya... SNAFU

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am glad you started this thread... I couldn't even spell chevrolet before, lol.

I owned 3 GM products before I went full blown loyalist blue blood FORD
I drive a 94 F-150 king cab 4x4 5.0 currently, and have a 98 F-150 short bed 4.2v6 5-speed as well. The only reason I drive the 94 more is because I have 3 kids. I have pulled more stuff with the 98 than a lot of people would believe. Made a trip from New Jersey and back to Southeast VA pulling my 73 24' cuddy cabin, with 50gals of fuel, and a 1500lbs trailer, for a total weight of around 7800lbs. It did great, and I used it to launch my boat at the ramp when it was still running. My buddy hooked to it with his chevy 1500 once, and swore he would never pull it again, and he never did, we always used my truck to go fishing from that point on. Might have something to do with him almost sliding down the ramp, but it didn't pull it no where as god as my little F-150 did. Greatest thing about it is he is a die hard gm guy.

As far as Ford not taking the bailout money, how many of their other companies did they sell off? They had several that I don't see listed on the company website anymore. So I imagine that played a major role in helping out. That and I think they just managed to be a little smarter overall. Isn't it funny how the 2 other companies of the big 3 are now partially owned by foreign companies ???

Chrysler- Fiat
GM- A Japanese industrial machinery company, thanks to Obama

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
I am glad you started this thread... I couldn't even spell chevrolet before, lol.

I owned 3 GM products before I went full blown loyalist blue blood FORD
I drive a 94 F-150 king cab 4x4 5.0 currently, and have a 98 F-150 short bed 4.2v6 5-speed as well. The only reason I drive the 94 more is because I have 3 kids. I have pulled more stuff with the 98 than a lot of people would believe. Made a trip from New Jersey and back to Southeast VA pulling my 73 24' cuddy cabin, with 50gals of fuel, and a 1500lbs trailer, for a total weight of around 7800lbs. It did great, and I used it to launch my boat at the ramp when it was still running. My buddy hooked to it with his chevy 1500 once, and swore he would never pull it again, and he never did, we always used my truck to go fishing from that point on. Might have something to do with him almost sliding down the ramp, but it didn't pull it no where as god as my little F-150 did. Greatest thing about it is he is a die hard gm guy.

As far as Ford not taking the bailout money, how many of their other companies did they sell off? They had several that I don't see listed on the company website anymore. So I imagine that played a major role in helping out. That and I think they just managed to be a little smarter overall. Isn't it funny how the 2 other companies of the big 3 are now partially owned by foreign companies ???

Chrysler- Fiat
GM- A Japanese industrial machinery company, thanks to Obama
Thanks to who ? `all foreign auto company's wish GM went 100% under , more market share for them . is there a GM with U.S labor getting a paycheck ?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts