Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the ring gear on the flywheel replaceable or do you have to buy a whole new flywheel???
It's off a 302ci. Russ....

·
Registered
557 Posts
The ring gear is replaceable. You can grind off the spot welds and tap it off. It may be able to be turned around and welded back on, but if its all mangled up, then you should get a new one.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't see any spot welds.....It looks just pressed on.....There is one real bad spot,,the teeth are 90% gone....No doubt i need a new one....Russ..

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Replaced/flipped many a ringgear at work. Kinda fun heating up that big old bugger, and then grasping it both carefully and strategically (so you first off don't get burnt to hell), and secondly so you don't get crazy flip/flopping that awkward thing around), as you get it down to the flywheel.

Sometimes (if you get it there fast enough), it plops/slides right in place, other times you gotta persuade it with a hammer/punch.......
In either case, it's pretty easy (with the right tools)..........

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well i am having a hell of a time finding a ring gear....UAP napa could not find one...Piston Ring store had one but they wanted $53!!I could buy a new flywheel for just a little more....Ring gear size is 12.025 I.D. and 12.992 O.D. 157 teeth....any ideas????????
Russ....

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
yea, here is an idea.....the starter on any eninge only engages the ring gear in 3 places (folks, count them if you have any doubts), remove the ring gear, move it about 1/6th of a turn and put it back on........or as suggested above, turn it over.

That is if not teeth or completely missing.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The starter only hits the ring gear on ENGAGEMENT in 3 places. it is engauged all the way around. use a new gear or flip it over.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My search is over
...I found a new one for $27....Just have to install it and I can send it in so they can balance the stroker crank
One more thing.....how do you tell if the balancer is ok????The rubber is cracked on one side,,but the back side looks new...It is a factory '75 balancer,,there is no groove were the seal runs...Motor does not have a lot of hours on it....Russ..

·
Registered
739 Posts
Main thing to look for on the dampener is rotation of the outer ring. That would signal deterioration of the rubber lamination. Put it on the engine and check that the TDC mark is right on. If it passes that test and the visual, it is probably OK.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Actually, I have a ring gear that has had some of the teeth completely ground off so it now has a flat spot. Could this be from someone trying to put a 157 tooth-type starter on a 164 tooth flywheel?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts