Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had my third ignition switch fall apart on me last night within the last 6 months...unbelievable!!! No more cheap Chinese parts from the local parts store...need to get eitheir an NOS switch of find something made in the USA...if there is any anymore!! Anyone know of a good source for an American made ignition switch???

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
You mean America still makes parts? LOL
It's just going to get worse with the idiots we have running the country and running OFF American Made Products.

Back to the switch I doubt you will find an American made one unless it is from some custom shop.

·
Registered
15 Posts
It may be too late but I won't buy anything from China that I don't absolutely have to. Nothing against chinese people that I know but their human rights culture and governance are nasty.

You will probably pay more but if you want to slow down the mongol hoard you better buck up and support the quality manufacturers.

·
Premium Member
5,912 Posts
Just had my third ignition switch fall apart on me last night within the last 6 months...unbelievable!!! No more cheap Chinese parts from the local parts store...need to get eitheir an NOS switch of find something made in the USA...if there is any anymore!! Anyone know of a good source for an American made ignition switch???
Just keep your receipt and bring it back, big deal.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
I wonder where they source current production.
I am not sure but the switch has to be made to FOMOCO specs. It will be a quality product. Country of origin will be on the box.

The shiny new Eaton Truetrac for the Thunderbird 8.8 under the wagon just showed up from Summit.

Country of origin...Taiwan.
:frown:

I have a friend that is redoing a '57 and he ordered a set of old style gasser wheels and they were MADE IN CHINA. I would have sent the SOB's back myself but he has a bunch of GM stuff on it (brake kits) so he has little self respect... :frown:

·
Premium Member
1,107 Posts
Most of the Motorcraft parts I've bought lately were made in Mexico but haven't had any trouble except 2 poorly assembled coils.

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
Hey guys, I just wanted to chime in and say not all Chinese parts suck... However, most of them do. As a society we have grown to want lower and lower prices... For most Chinese manufactures price is the most important thing. With lower prices comes corner cutting. (I call this the Walmart factor)

I've been to China a number of times. My company has a few parts manufactured there. One thing I will not let stand is crapy quality... Solid reliable parts and products do exist from China they just cost more to make, but still much less than the USA/Europe.

In general the death of manufacturing in the USA and Europe made many companies seek out a more competitive advantage. Said companies are turning to China and other asian countries and will continue to do so. Out of all of the companies I have worked in China 90% are foreign owned. These companies treat their workers just as we would in the USA they even make about 10-25% more than a worker doing a similar thing for a Chinese owned company.

So remember it's not where the parts are made, but the integrity of the company making the parts. You can get crapy parts made in the USA too!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Bought a set of Coker tires. 2 of them developed large bubbles in the tread. Junked them all. American Classics said Cokers are made in Mexico and American Classis are made in the US of A. No problems with the American tires. For what it is worth, really don't know if it is true or not but it sold me?
Worked at a place called WAI inc. They made starters, alternators, ect. and sold them as "MANUFACTORED IN USA". All were, I guess , quality parts, but none of the peices were made in the U.S. We got crates of parts from around the world and assembeled them here.
Bottom line, IF you could find out where every peice came from, is there anything really "MADE in tne USA"? I believe, even back in the 60s, many of our car parts were Canadien or Mexican.
What I do like from Asia are the tools that are soooo much better that the "Made in Japan" tools from years ago and Asian women.

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
Bought a set of Coker tires. 2 of them developed large bubbles in the tread. Junked them all. American Classics said Cokers are made in Mexico and American Classis are made in the US of A. No problems with the American tires. For what it is worth, really don't know if it is true or not but it sold me?
Worked at a place called WAI inc. They made starters, alternators, ect. and sold them as "MANUFACTORED IN USA". All were, I guess , quality parts, but none of the peices were made in the U.S. We got crates of parts from around the world and assembeled them here.
Bottom line, IF you could find out where every peice came from, is there anything really "MADE in tne USA"? I believe, even back in the 60s, many of our car parts were Canadien or Mexican.
What I do like from Asia are the tools that are soooo much better that the "Made in Japan" tools from years ago and Asian women.[/QU

I ordered a 428 CJ Mustang in '68 and it was Made in Canada!

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
Can't remember if it was brought up on this forum but over on the Big Block Ford forum there was a thread about general motors partnering with china to produce about 70% of their cars in china or with chinese parts. For more info...Google general motors becoming china motors.
It makes me sick to my stomach that one of the 'Big Three' is selling out to china :mad::frown:. At least Chrysler went with a country that manufactures quality products!

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
All car manufacturers (INCL ford) will be building in CHINA. It will soon become the worlds largest consumer economy.

FIAT bought CHRYSLER.

·
Premium Member
5,912 Posts
Toyota and Honda set up their manufacturing here in the USA. They figure the low pay makes up for the low quality of workmanship. It's called globalization.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Can't remember if it was brought up on this forum but over on the Big Block Ford forum there was a thread about general motors partnering with china to produce about 70% of their cars in china or with chinese parts.
There's several issues at work here.

First off, China is either the first or second largest market for new cars now. They overtook us in 2010 then slipped back behind us in 2011, I think; in any case, it's close. GM, VAG (VW/Audi), Toyota are all huge players there. So it stands to reason that automakers would pay a lot of attention to what goes on in China. The only reason the Buick brand still exists is that it's HUGE in China, it's GM's flagship brand there - and there's history behind this, dating back to Buick's popularity in Shanghai in the '30s.

Yes, you can produce first-quality stuff in China. The industrial base and supply chain there is second to none. Raw materials, tooling, facilities - it's all there, unlike much of the hollowed-out and hyper-regulated US. For a lot of companies trying to get a product to market at a price customers will pay, China is the ONLY - yes, ONLY - answer.

Now, there's big downsides to this. If you're a GM, or a Siemens, or whomever, you'll find you'll be expected to submit yourself to commercial sodomy by all manner of entities run by nephews of local party bigwigs. You'll be expected to hand over intellectual property to your 'partner' and what IP you don't willingly turn over will be stolen.

If you're smaller and/or not doing cutting-edge stuff, you'll still have to watch your backside. Your local subcontractor will do Mars-probe quality work for the first two batches, but the moment he realizes you're not QCing every tenth item he turns over you'll find the material getting cheaper and the tolerances getting sloppier. His brother-in-law will find a cheaper source for paint, and suddenly you're in the press Stateside for selling lead-coated product.

·
Premium Member
3,669 Posts
Toyota and Honda set up their manufacturing here in the USA. They figure the low pay makes up for the low quality of workmanship. It's called globalization.
but majority of parts are still from overseas...
and we get to put them togther and say ,made in the USA....
but its better than nothing.....:(

·
Registered
653 Posts
but majority of parts are still from overseas...
and we get to put them togther and say ,made in the USA....
but its better than nothing.....:(
Actually, that's not entirely true. I think your average US-assembled Camry or Civic is mostly put together from North American-sourced parts.

The last new Ford I bought was a '91 Taurus SHO, assembled in the now-gone Atlanta (Hapeville) plant. Leaving out the powertrain for a second, which of course was all Japanese, you can look at the rest of the car and note:

• Pretty much all the plastics were Canadian.
  • Most of the wiring, most of the interior electronics, and all the soft trim was from Mexico.
  • The wheels were from Italy.
  • The brake calipers were from Brazil.
  • The window motors were Japanese.
  • The steering column intermediate shaft was from Luxembourg.
  • The window tracks were from France.
  • And so on.
And all the above (well, except the Italian wheels) was true of all Atlanta-build Tauruses. Chicago-build Tauruses had US-sourced window tracks.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Now, there's big downsides to this. If you're a GM, or a Siemens, or whomever, you'll find you'll be expected to submit yourself to commercial sodomy by all manner of entities run by nephews of local party bigwigs. You'll be expected to hand over intellectual property to your 'partner' and what IP you don't willingly turn over will be stolen.
I believe few are aware of the above.

Bribes are accepted business in China. Not only for the nephews of local party bigwigs, the entire chain of command works this manor. Even night shift foreman there expect to have their palms greased.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts