Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been having issues getting my choke working for quite some time now. I have verified that the 2 tubes that run from the carb to the exhaust manifold are clear, the passage inside the manifold is clear and that the choke is setup correctly IAW the service manual. What I discovered yesterday is that the vacuum port for the choke that is on the bottom side of the carb (back passenger side) appears to be blocked off by the carb gaskets and carb spacer. I have an Autolite 2100 carb on a 390 with stock intake manifold and stock spacer. The vacuum for the choke comes from a port on the bottom side of the carb and not a line so I guess you could say it's internal to the carb. As the engine is not yet installed in the car, is there a way I can check if this vacuum port is or is not covered or blocked? If it is blocked, can I use a dremel and carve a channel in the spacer to allow this port to get vacuum? I can post pics of the port if it might help. I was going to convert to electric choke, but if this is the problem, I'd rather get it working this way.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,912 Posts
Could you try blowing into the tube that connects to the choke? Try it with the choke valve ioen and closed. If air can get through the carb then there is probably no blockage

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
Take off the 3 screws holding the choke on, let it hang aside, be careful not to break the choke vacuum gasket. Take a bottle of carb cleaner and insert the nozzle into the tiny vacuum hole that sits next to the choke body mounting screw hole where the oval gasket sits, squirt it in there holding the carb upside down, and watch where the liquid exits. It should exit somewhere high in the venturi where the vacuum signal isn't so strong I think....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts