Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm taking the carb down to the local shop to have it jetted. I'm also considering having the choke assembly cut off. How will this affect driveability? From what I understand warm-ups will be a little slower. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
521 Posts
I have the choke removed from my 850 dp.The warm ups are slower but no driveability problems on the street.I just give her a couple pumps before I fire it up and thats it.
Bob

·
Registered
63 Posts
I guess it depends on how long you want to warm up the car for. I use Holley 4160 carbs with electric chokes that do an excellent job of warming up. It's nice to be able to jump in, start it up and drive away without having to worry about it stalling at the first stop. On the other hand, my neighbor used to have a 4160 with no choke on his chebby truck and would sit out there every morning warming the thing up for at least 5 minutes. Of course, his problem could have been what he was driving.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I warm it up for a good five minutes anyway with the choke, I'll cut it off. thanks guys, did you hack them off yourselves?

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
I cut mine off myself. I used my dremel for the smoothing work, and a cut off wheel for the big stuff. Here's a few pix.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
My Demon was born chokeless, and My car likes it, barely have to warm it up on very cold days. Most days 1 pump tap key and away I go.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Doc

I have a feeling that in "Norway" ... a choke would be "A Good Thing"

Larry Madsen
Las Vegas Nevada

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: monstermach on 3/24/02 7:42am ]</font>

·
Registered
67 Posts
How 'bout 'can't live without it'.....

When its cold here, we can have something like -5*. And yes, I mean degrees F.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
you could always leave the fast idle parts on the carb and just remove the choke plate, shaft and linkage to shaft. This would idle the engine up some till it became drivable.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Here in Vegas about 25* is as low as it will ever get ...

I grew up in Utah ... where 20* below zero was not at all unheard of. We needed choke, long underwear, beanie cap, ear muffs gloves, goose down coat ...

Also ... I argee with "Strokin" ... leave the "Fast Idle" stuff.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I pulled the cohke plate out of my 700DP on my 351C, and left the manual fast idle linkage in place. It does not help much, if at all when cold.

After about 30 seconds, it can be left to run on its own, but if I have the fast idle pulled, it'll die. I think the single plane intake and lumpy cam have maxed out the idle circuits, and with the throttle plates open a little, the idle signal goes away and it leans out.

Just my 2 cents!

Greg

·
Registered
14 Posts
How about a manual choke? I always toss the automatic chokes because they need set too often and the morning temps are always so different day to day. With a manual choke, every day the choke is 'just right'!!!

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
I've got one of the 830 holley HP carbs on the mav, and it doesnt need to warm up much at all. Pump it, start it, let the oil circulate for a few seconds, then off we go. It used to be a cold-blooded bear to start with the solid-flat tappet cam, but when we switched to the solid roller, it really made the car more enjoyable to drive.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts