Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm back to receive more insight or backlash about my stupid decisions. I'm trying to build a mild daily driver 351W thats going into a '77 T-Bird. I've come at a crossroads and I'm deciding what cam I should use...I don't want something that'll destroy my valve train or require a stall swap. Here's what I've been looking at so far

Right now I have an Edelbrock 2181 intake, Holley 570 SA, planning on swapping my current D8OE heads with C9TE/D0OE/D2OE heads. The car has an FMX and will eventually get some 3:50 gears. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Contact Brent Lykins at Lykins Motorsports.
He will get you a custom cam that will do exactly what you want.
Custom cams are not expensive these days.
comparable in price to off the shelf cams.
HUGE advantage over “catalog” cams.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Contact Brent Lykins at Lykins Motorsports.
He will get you a custom cam that will do exactly what you want.
Custom cams are not expensive these days.
comparable in price to off the shelf cams.
HUGE advantage over “catalog” cams.
I guess I really didn't think of custom grinds. Thanks! I'll have to get ahold of them sometime. I've always thought custom grinds would be more pricey, but anymore I find myself looking at $300+ camshafts. Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
I did a mild build on my 70 351W and am happy with the Comp XE262-H cam. It has been perfect for the past 11 years, a smooth, yet not stock idle, and great driveability. I have a FMX trans and still run the 2.75 rear gears, but would like to eventually run 3.50's. I run the original stock C9 heads, converted to screw in studs, necessary for the appropriate valve springs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello, I'm back to receive more insight or backlash about my stupid decisions. I'm trying to build a mild daily driver 351W thats going into a '77 T-Bird. I've come at a crossroads and I'm deciding what cam I should use...I don't want something that'll destroy my valve train or require a stall swap. Here's what I've been looking at so far

Right now I have an Edelbrock 2181 intake, Holley 570 SA, planning on swapping my current D8OE heads with C9TE/D0OE/D2OE heads. The car has an FMX and will eventually get some 3:50 gears. Any help will be greatly appreciated!
That is to big of a cam for what you are looking for, will need a stall with that. I would stay in the 260-270 duration, 218 at .050 lift. i had a friend with a 268 comp cam in a 351 and loved it, very drivable.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts