Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellas - the grille on the Park Lane is wicked dirty/oxidated. I don't know if the grille is chrome plated steel or aluminum, but figured someone here would know better.

I'm attaching a picture to show what I'm talking about. You can see a couple of "clean" spots and the rest of the horizontal surfaces are all covered with a cloud, film or haze of sorts. I can't even seem to scratch it with a fingernail, although I wasn't trying my hardest.

The slats in the grille are very close together. If the only option is some kind of polish, I have no idea how I can work it in there since a finger won't fit. Open to all products and suggestions that you have to throw my way.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update: I hit a small test spot with some Mother's mag and aluminum polish and it did absolutely nothing.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Quadruple zero steel wool.

make sure you don't get triple zero, #000 it's too coarse and will scratch!

Go easy at first and start in a non conspicuous area, but it should be ok, I've used the #0000 on chrome quite a bit.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quadruple zero steel wool.

make sure you don't get triple zero, #000 it's too coarse and will scratch!

Go easy at first and start in a non conspicuous area, but it should be ok, I've used the #0000 on chrome quite a bit.
I'd seen that suggestion in my searches and was considering it. You hear people rave about it, and others freak out. Anything is worth trying, though. She's no show car, but that doesn't mean it has to look cruddy.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Current update - 0000 steel wool will, in fact, take the scum off. It cleaned up the faces of the bars very well, but they weren't that neglected. The horizontal parts of the bars are so tight together that it's very hard to even wrap the stuff around a screwdriver and get any pressure on it at all. I'm sure it COULD clean everything up, but it would take days.

Still, it works, and I'll keep plugging away at it in my free time, but it's far from a priority.

Oh, I should note that I am lubricating it with good old soapy water.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Is the park lane grille Chrome plated die cast? or Aluminum? or Stainless steel?

You can polish the Chrome and stainless parts (if they are) however the aluminum bright work from this era is "bright anodised" i.e. coated. So to be able to polish them you need to remove the anodising, polish and then re-anodise the aluminum (or re-coat somehow). You may be able to polish through the anodising, however they are anodised to stop them dulling off.

Reason I am asking is that the 66 galaxie standard grille is anodised alumium, where as the 500XL/LTD grille is cast and plated. So I didnt polish the grille in my galaxie, but did get the stainless windshield and window trim polished.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is the park lane grille Chrome plated die cast? or Aluminum? or Stainless steel?

You can polish the Chrome and stainless parts (if they are) however the aluminum bright work from this era is "bright anodised" i.e. coated. So to be able to polish them you need to remove the anodising, polish and then re-anodise the aluminum (or re-coat somehow). You may be able to polish through the anodising, however they are anodised to stop them dulling off.

Reason I am asking is that the 66 galaxie standard grille is anodised alumium, where as the 500XL/LTD grille is cast and plated. So I didnt polish the grille in my galaxie, but did get the stainless windshield and window trim polished.
I honestly have no idea what it is. All the other trim on the car is stainless, aside from the fender grilles, best as I can tell.

They do clean up perfectly well with 0000 steel wool but it is such a pain in the ass because the grille fins are so close together - barely enough to fit a pencil into, if that. I have yet to find a quality solution that would allow me to actually get into the gaps.

·
Registered
32 Posts
the 0000 steel wool shouldnt take the anodising off, this is what i used on the interior trim of my galaxie (around all the windows). This is all anodised aluminum, which im sure is the same for the Parklane.

Maybe wrap a ruler with steel wool and run it in and out of the gaps

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the 0000 steel wool shouldnt take the anodising off, this is what i used on the interior trim of my galaxie (around all the windows). This is all anodised aluminum, which im sure is the same for the Parklane.

Maybe wrap a ruler with steel wool and run it in and out of the gaps
Ruler might be a good idea. I considered a flathead screwdriver but there isn't enough surface area to actually make a difference.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts