Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, everyone,

I'm working on the interior in my '63, and the chrome finish on all the plastic (door panel trim, gauge cluster bezels) has either worn down to the gray plastic or has peeled away completely. I really hate to replace all these parts, because they are in great shape otherwise, and I'd like to keep the original parts as much as I can. So what are my options?

Do I send them away to be re-chromed? If so, what are good places, and what can I expect to pay? I am located in Pittsburgh.

Has anyone ever had success with chrome paint?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Hi, everyone,

I'm working on the interior in my '63, and the chrome finish on all the plastic (door panel trim, gauge cluster bezels) has either worn down to the gray plastic or has peeled away completely. I really hate to replace all these parts, because they are in great shape otherwise, and I'd like to keep the original parts as much as I can. So what are my options?

Do I send them away to be re-chromed? If so, what are good places, and what can I expect to pay? I am located in Pittsburgh.

Has anyone ever had success with chrome paint?

Thanks in advance!
Unless you plan to invest in an airbrush setup, the chrome paint looks pretty awful ( tried it).

the vaccuum plating of plastic is difficult and not many places do it. I believe advanced plating in nashville does, but MAN is it pricey!

You may be better off buying 4 or 6 foot strips of billet from clayton machine or something and removing the plastic to replace it with the billet.

I'd dare to guess you'll be light years happier and it won't degrade like the chrome over plastic finish.

·
Premium Member
229 Posts
There was a place my Dad used for some of his Falcon trim back in the early 90's called Quicksilver. Pieces came out really nice. Not sure if they're still around though.

·
Administrator
21,643 Posts

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
I just got through putting the plastic bezels from Dearborn on my 63. They were nice. The light shines through them at night better than the old ones too. If someone asks I'll tell them they are original and it cost me a ton to get them rechromed. I don't think you could tell the difference anyway. I couldn't.
They were about $130.00 after shipping. They aren't cheap. I read about a guy that wanted to keep his originals and have them plated. When he got through all the run around and cost he wished he hadn't done it.
I got them all on except the right vent. Can't figure out how to get the cable loose from the heat box on that one. Any suggestions?. Jim

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
Hey All,
Google "MonoKote".

It comes in "Chrome".

JC

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Jay Leno had a video clip on a spray on "chrome" process. You might have to search Jay Leno's Garage site to find clip.

·
Administrator
21,643 Posts
Jay Leno had a video clip on a spray on "chrome" process. You might have to search Jay Leno's Garage site to find clip.
I was trying to think of the name of that stuff also. Somewhere here or in the garage i posted a thread on it. I'll see if i can find it.

@JimNolan, The end of the cable just kinda hooks around a rod on the heater box itself if i remember right and don't think the heater box needs removed to get it off there. You'll have to get a flashlight and get under there and study it. Been quite some time since i removed one.

Here's the thread on the spray on chrome stuff.
http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/galaxie-pages/497649-spray-chrome.html

·
Registered
232 Posts
Anyone have experience with spray-on chrome shops?

I've heard that spray-on chrome may be a better alternative to vacuum metalizing 50 year old parts via plastic re-plating. In case you haven’t seen it, here’s a good video of the process as shown on Jay Leno’s garage: Jay Leno's Garage: Spray-On Chrome - YouTube

I have 4 armrest bases that need re-chroming. I've received quotes from a few shops that do vacuum metalizing that range from $35-50 each. But I'm not sure how much spray-on chrome would cost.

One difference can be in the prep work. I can wash these things myself … and even prime with a good plastic epoxy-type primer. That way, all the shop has to do is apply the jet-black base coat and spray on chrome.

Anyone know of a good shop that does spray-on chrome work?

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
just got my dash bezel and 6 armrest bases done they look great place called Vacumm-metalizing in Dearborn mich short bases 22.50 long bases32.50 its on the web talk to frank

1 - 14 of 14 Posts