Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone that owns a 69 or 70 mustang knows that the OEM gauges are inferior. Most of us have tachs strapped to our steering column and aftermarket oil and temp gauges in the center console ot under the dash. There are few good options for us that want an OEM look aftermarket instrument gauges panels with 6 holes. Classic Instrument is investigasting the market to decide if they tool a set for the 69-70. I for one would love to have this made. Here is the classic Instrument website for those that are not familar with their products Welcome to Classic Instruments

If you are interested in Classic Instrument making the 69-70 product, I encourage you to call them and or past a reply in the thread at Vintage Mustang Forum called "classic 69-70 Mustang Instrument Set". We need a quality aftermarket instrument option and this is a great opportunity to support our hobby. Thanks, Alan

·
Registered
179 Posts
I felt the same way when restoring my 70 and found JME Industries which offers the one I installed and after talking to them they also had me send them my clock which they refurbished and installed a white face to match gauges. While it was not cheap the quality matched the price. I'm very happy. It would be nice to see them have some competition so prices might go down some.

Attachments

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I felt the same way when restoring my 70 and found JME Industries which offers the one I installed and after talking to them they also had me send them my clock which they refurbished and installed a white face to match gauges. While it was not cheap the quality matched the price. I'm very happy. It would be nice to see them have some competition so prices might go down some.
I am interested in the JME unit. Mustang Depot wanted all the money up front and the est delivery was 4-5 months. So I tried to contact JME via phone message and e-mail. They finally returned my call after 5 or more days. Their terms and delivery were better and acceptable. They said they would call with the quote the next day, still have heard from them. How did the wire harness connect to the OEM connector? Also are you happy with the wood finish? I wonder if it will dry out and chip? I wish it had the chrome trim like the OEM bezel. I like the AutoMeter Sport Comp II that are backlight LED. Any Feedback would be great. Can you send me a close up picture of the dash panel. Alan

·
Registered
179 Posts
Actually the JME cluster is for a 69 but they list it for 69/70 and the woodgrain is slightly different from 70 but because my car is modified and it is hardly noticeable I let it slide. The autometer gauges are super nice and work great with the oil & temp sending units they include, also the gas gauge works fine with stock sender. The installation kit comes with a connector you match and install wires into connector then it plugs into your stock dash harness. I've included what pics I have for now but wait until I post in a day or two because after checking out the car which hasn't been driven in awhile I noticed the woodgrain laminate is pulling away from the bezel and it is not like a decal as it's much thicker like it has a thin cardboard backing to it. It has been in the car for about a year and a half, I will call JME tomorrow to let them know of this issue and see what they reccomend I do to reattach it without removing the whole cluster. I will post their answer.

Attachments

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Your setup looks very good. Whats the difference between a 69 or 70 instrument panel? I know the woodgrain for 69 is teak and 70 is walnut.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
JME's phone number was disconnected today. UPDATE: I just talked to Julio at JME, he said someone took out a telephone pole and his carrier put a recording on his phone number that the number had been disconnected. SO JME is alive and well.

·
Registered
745 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/all-ford-techboard/500097-69-mustang-gauges.html

Heres a thread I posted on here a month or so ago. I have a 69 mustang and had the same problem...not many options for aftermarket gauges. So I made my own. Ive still got the template for the gauge pod if you want it.
Interesting gauge pod, I have a shelby gauge pod in my center console, thanks for the suggestion. I actually was interested in a complete aftermarket instrument panel with oil, water temp, volts, fuel, electric speedo and tach.

·
Registered
179 Posts
OK after 3 days with no response from JME ( e-mail ) on the woodgrain coming loose at 2 corners of the gauge pod I took matters into my own hands and sprayed some 3M mutipurpose adhesive on a small piece of cardboard to create a puddle then using a small craft brush from walmart I was able to smooth some on the back of the woodgrain at both corners, held the woodgrain tight against the gauge pod for 5 minutes with my fingers and now it is secured. For how long I don't know.

The only difference I found between the 69/70 pods are like you said the woodgrain and at the bottom of the gauge pod the cradle that sets over the steering column was slighly different, I had to loosen and move my column over about an 1/8" toward drivers door to get it centered with the gauge pod cradle so the lower cover under column would line up. No big deal tho. Yea Julio was the one who told me that the pods were actually 69's sold as 69/70 because they were almost identical.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I spoke to Julio a few days ago, I mentioned your problem. He siad on there were a few delamination issues (x<5) early on. They changed materials to fix the problem. He said for you to call for the fix. He totally shocked me with the price with sport comp II gauges. I am trying to get a holiday price from Mustangs Unlimited. I want to purchase the gauge panel and assemble the gauges myself. I have no need for JME wiring and as far as customer service goes, I may only need AutoMeter. I'll let you know how this works out. Did you have any issues with the fuel reading acurracy? Autometer said that the 73-10 gauge was made for the original ford non linear resistance curve and most or all replacements have a linear curve. I need to pull mine and check it on an ohm meter. I found a company that advertises they can rewire the reostate to the original non linear resitance curve. Alan

·
Registered
179 Posts
I got the woodgrain fixed ( No Biggie ). At first the fuel gauge didn't read properly 3/4 when full so I got on autometers website and it said it should work with stock sender and to remove and check ohm readings, mine was an original sender so I just replaced it with a new one from Virginia Classic Mustangs, works perfect now full tank reads full on gauge. Autometer does have their own senders if a stock one will not work but you have to call to verify make/model/year.. I love the white face Autometer gauges, very easy to read and very accurate. Good Luck with your project.

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
I like the all American set up the best I think but they are all very nice. I would like to have an updated instrument cluster in my 65 but they all cost so much and my money is allocated to more important things right now. It will have to wait.

There are a couple more gauges that should be considered. So many people are running power adders that boost and AFR are needed. I wish somebody would make a good combined guage with both. For the panels to stay standard another gauge would have to be doubled up as well like oil pressure and temp maybe.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
70leadfoot; Your gauges and dash look excellent. One more question / request. Since the bottom of the JME dash bezel is the 69 design, Julio said to modify a 69 column cover to fit a 70. Will the 69 cover be short allowing a gap between the circular plastic column cover? Whats your opinion on this? I see you kept the 70 cover, just wondering why. Happy Holiday's; Alan

·
Registered
179 Posts
Actually at the time I didn't know there was a difference in the 69/70 clusters until I went to line up column & lower cover. I was then told by Julio the difference and he didn't specify a method for the cover but told me to loosen column bracket and move coloumn over about an 1/8" to 1/4" to center it. Then I noticed the gap between lower cover & dash cluster so I had a spare 70 lower cover that I tried modifying ( trimming ) around the part that fits up against column then had to trim some away from area that rests against dash, was not happy with the outcome so I just installed the original 70 one and have lived with the gap. Since my interior is all black you hardly notice the gap unless lower courtesy lights are on. NOW that you have mentioned the 69 lower cover I will be on the lookout for a used one to see if a modification of it will work better than what I have.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Does the round steering column cover butt up against the front surface of the JME bezel that fits around the top of the steering column? The fit around the steering column is my only concern at this point. CJ Pony has the 69 lower steering column cover for 35$. I am interested in how the 69 cover fits.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Pictures describe my problem better than I can, so here are a couple shots I took this morning. It looks worse than it is and since this car will be driven alot I'm not to concerned because as I already found out after 500 miles we already got a scratch in new paint, surprisingly that was at a car show not walmart.

Attachments

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thanks for the pictures. I think the 69 piece would take care of the gap and it would look great. Sorry to hear about the paint, Its amazing how careless / thoughtless people are when it comes to doors dings and scratches. My concorde daily driver looks like it got caught in a sideways hail storm. When I see a new dent, I just think to myself, I am glad its not my Mach1 or a new car.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts