Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1963 Ford Galaxie 500
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought an old Autolite 4100 carb last week to add to my 1963 Galaxie 500. It currently has a Motorcraft 2150 on it. I was searching around various Youtube videos and Forums, and a guy was using Pine Sol, original formula, to clean a carb. I was a bit skeptical, but his before and after photos showed a significant difference. So I bought $10.00 woth of Pine Sol, which I needed to use a 50/50 water to Pine Sol mix, and broke the carb down to the frame. I soaked the parts for 12 hours, hit a few heavy spots with a toothbrush, and then back for 6 hours for a total of 18 hours. I do have to say this HAS to be done outdoors, as the Pine Sol odor is VERY STRONG.

So here are the results. I did use a toothbrush to hit some spots, and used about 3/4 can of carburetor cleaner to finish clean, and some few spots were hit with a brass wire brush. But all in all, I was very impressed, especially seeing the prices of some cleaning products to get similar results.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Looks great.
The carb cleaner in the gallon can sold at the parts stores these days is useless. I have a friend with a 20 year old 5 gallon bucket of Berrymans that I was using, but I moved recently. So I’ll keep Pine Sol in mind for my next rebuild.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts