Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I've been searching and searching and I've seen articles and how too's on installing these items in a 63 but nowhere does it talk about hood clearance or tunnel clearance. I read all over regarding header clearancing though and 5 to 6 bolt changes but niether of those will be a problem for me with a MII front end and newer engine with trans. I want to keep the stock hood and not really mess with the trans tunnel either if I don't have to (maybe a bit of hammer "clearancing" or so but not really cutting it up.

What hood clearancing and trans tunnel room is there with this combo? I have both now as well as a 302 I can use but would like the 351/AOD package.

I know I can lower the entire setup some with the R&C mount positions but I don't want to have to worry about scraping the pans on the bumps or messing up the ability to adjust my pinion angle either.

Anybody have any details on this?

Thanks
Dave

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
My buddy in the Fairlane club is running a 351 with a Stealth intake, Holley 670 & it clears the hood just fine in his 64 Fairlane
I;m not sure what Air Cleaner hes using
What he didn;t do is massage the towers enough to run good exhuast manifolds, hes using stock 351;s cast iron;s, which just chokes the mill

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the info. If I can get a low pro filter setup on it or some type of carb hat (for a potential blow-through turbo setup), I'll be happy. The AOD is the main concern now.

Does your buddy have any pics of the setup on the net? I'm interested to see his setup.

By the way, I'm not going to have shock towers since I'm going MII. I can make my headers with plenty of room to play.

Thanks
Dave

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I read your article but not in detail apparently. If just massaging with a hammer is all I need, I can drop the entire setup 1" if ground clearance will allow and should have minimal if any "clearancing". Thanks for helping me actually read the thread. If I were racing this car, I'd surely be looking at going the route you did but it's a 4 door cruiser with just the power to merge onto the highway in front of the big oil trucks that don't stop for anything. I'll also pull from a light a little more than normal but never really ground the pedal. Plus I an going more clutches/discs and a hardened input with some other goodies from Jay at Broader.

Thanks again. That answers my questions there. I found the IDIDIT column shifter setup for the cable too so I'm good to remain factory looking and operating in the car. Things are coming together.

Dave

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
I don't know if I would drop the drivetrain 1" myself.

Shave the shock towers a little like a the Thunderbolts, or Crites kit.

Tranny tunnel, BFH it! Or cut some slits down the sides of the tunnel, Jack the tranny up past where you need it. Let it back down to the correct height. Once your happy with the clearance weld some strips back in to fill up the gaps.

Tear drop hood will clear just about anything.

Jet

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Dave -no pics sorry, I put an AOD in my 63 with no drama whatsoever.
the big problem was the long tube hookers #6134, they took some major reworking to clear the fat AOD.
Pass.side had to flatten the collector, dr. side had to cut collector off, re-angle to catch the tranny hump.
No work necessary on stock trans hump tho to fit the AOD.
DO get a valve body for your AOD, Lentech makes a killer valve body that gives you full manual control over 1,2,3 shifts & a simple switch to control OD. Or, you can leave in D & let it shift by itself
Great mod

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Awesome. Thanks for the info. Broader has a VB for the tranny too that I'm going to look into.

Best of luck to everyone. Pics will come as soon as I get somewhere worth looking at.

Dave

1 - 8 of 8 Posts