Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys i need your expertise again!!!! We had practice nite this past weekend and at 4500 rpm's the thing started missing on a few cylinders (its a slight babble) so tonite i finally got to it and replaced the cap,rotor, and wires. I also checked the plugs and they all look fine but #1 and #2 seem a bit dryer than the rest of them. It seems like I'm getting fuel but im still using the stock fuel pump. could that be the problem??? To get you up to speed I race a 3/8 mile high banked circle track power range is 4500-5700 rpm with a 3200# Torino. The Cleveland is mainly stock with a few upgrades. Thanks so much guys!!!

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Hey Jade
Just for some direction:
1) Are you running a 2 or 4 Barrel
2) Single or dual point
3) A restrictor
4) Stock coil
5) New distributor or used

This miss, is it as you come out of the turn or going into it?
Does the miss clear itself after 4500-5000?
Sorry there are so many Q's, but each is important.
Fred

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
something I ran into on a drag car once, if I advanced the timing too far, it would miss from 4200-4800, then go away. Retarded the timing and picked up .3 second. Just some food for thought.

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
It sounds to me like its banging out. That is most often caused by too much timing/not enough octane or its leaning out in the carb. It could be that the power valve isn't opening soon enough or it may be shutting on you when you don't want it to. It could also be the combination of your primary jets + power valve is not quite enough before the secondaries cut in(if its a 4 barrel). Something like that.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
On 2002-05-08 02:43, Blown54 wrote:
Hey Jade
Just for some direction:
1) Are you running a 2 or 4 Barrel
2) Single or dual point
3) A restrictor
4) Stock coil
5) New distributor or used

This miss, is it as you come out of the turn or going into it?
Does the miss clear itself after 4500-5000?
Sorry there are so many Q's, but each is important.
Fred
The carburetor is a 2v that i bought from a fellow racer that has been went through and has 72 jets in right now. the distributor is electronic and i bought that new less than a year ago. I have no restrictor I do have a 1" spacer. Yes it is a stock coil. It only does it when i am about 3/4 the way down the straightaway and to the corner and no it doesnt get any better. It definately isnt valve float. its like 2 or 3 cylinders are missin though. thanks for the help guys. this thing has me baffled.
Jade

·
Registered
19 Posts
its starting to sound like the coil isnt up the the job or you are runnin ro lean on the carb. But the coil is the main area I would look at. Seeing how it has to saturate enoguh to produce the spark in all the cylinders and the higher the RPM the less time it has to do so..

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well thanks for all the help guys!!!!! I finally got the chance to work on the car today and i checked the timing. I think the balancer must have slipped cuz it was no where neat the 32 degrees i had it set at. IT seemed to advance quite a ways. well i set it back to 32 and now it runs great. I guess i shoulda checked it sooner but i never expected it to change.........
thanks again
Jade

·
Registered
44 Posts
Just another note. My 351C was running into a miss at 3500 and up. Went through all kinds of hell when I finally figured it was the MSD box that was not getting enough current as the rpm's got higher. The pos lead on the MSD was connected to the bat side of the starter selenoid and the connection was slightly corroded. The poor connection meant that the ignition could not keep up since it was not getting what it needed. Check your ign connections and make sure your getting enough power to it. Hope this helps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts