Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have all of the parts including a 3 x 2 manifold. Now I find out there is a problem getting the proper compression with the open chamber heads ( 2V ) on the 302 block. I want to put a stroker kit in it for the street and can't get a straight answer from any piston supplier about which piston to use. Has anyone run into anything like this?

·
Registered
802 Posts
I've never seen or heard of a 3 x 2 manifold that will fit a C 2V head. Where did you get it?
There are no stroker kits available for this application but I might be able to refer you to a piston that can work if I know the stroke and how much compression you want.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Price motorsports makes a adapter to use any 302 manifold with 351c heads and Blue Thunder makes a 3 x 2 manifols made from the original Ford casting , Check Moon Eyes Site they are a Blue Thunder dealer, I paid 389.00 for it. I will be using a 3.4" stroke crank and 5.4" rods and want to be able to use street fuel, so I want to keep compression about 8.4 or so ............George

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: steharz on 2/4/07 2:51am ]</font>

·
Registered
991 Posts
should have used an aussie 2vcc head to begin with and 8.4 is way to low.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I want to be able to run with todays pump gas and have it last for more than a few years. I'm looking for reasonable power with reliability. ...........George

·
Registered
991 Posts
I run 10.5-11:1 all day long on pump gas with iron heads for decades now

·
Registered
802 Posts
8.206 deck
-1.70 half stroke
-5.40 rod
------------
=1.106 CH piston

Ideally for proper valve clearance you want a piston with a valve relief made for a canted valve head. I'm not aware of any off the shelf clevor pistons with that compression height.

If you run a different rod,

--------
=1.191 CH

Use a ProbeIndustries 351 Clevor flat top piston with a 1.200 CH and have it stick .009 above the block. Since they are open chamber heads there shouldn't be any interference issues and it would help maximize compression. Assuming all my math was done right, this set up should give you about 9.4:1 compression.

The amount of static compression you can run on pump fuel is determined by the cam you select. The more aggressive the cam, the later the intake valve closes and the more cylinder pressure is bled off.

What cam are you planning to use?

·
Premium Member
141 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
It looks like that Ebay seller has a kit for the exact set up I just described. I wouldn't recommend the +.020 thick gasket though.

The Boss 302 piston has a 1.53 CH. It works with a 5.155 (B302/289) rod and a 3.00 stroke.
There is also a piston made in Australia with a 1.415 CH that can be used with a 5.155 rod and a 3.25 stroke.

Pay attention to rod journal and pin diameters when piecing a kit together. Some are Ford (2.123/.912) and others are Chevy (2.100/.927) size.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Good luck on you Clevor stroker.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: hjcraver on 2/4/07 2:48am ]</font>

·
Registered
3 Posts
I sell Aussie 302V Heads on Ebay and am wanting to build a 347 Clevor Stroker also . The Piston you might want to look at is available from Jason at [email protected] . It has a Cleveland Top with a CH of 1.10" and the pin doesnt intersect the oil ring. AT Racing World / Jason is selling these pistons in his 383W Stroker kit on Ebay Austrialia .
Also worthy of note is Eldebrock is offering in their 2007 Catalog #7129 Performer RPM E-Boss intake for the 302 Clevor. They will be available for purchase early this Summer. Hope this helps. Hubert Craver/ Clever Racing

·
Registered
802 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks guy's I think all of this last info is what I need to complete the engine. What i need more that anything is some cash to get it done....George

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
On 2006-10-08 00:11, beetle9711 wrote:
Ok I decide to run 9.5 to 10 , What do I use for a piston for proper valve clearance?
That seems a bit sudden, in 1hr and 28min. you changed the whole combo 1-1.5 comp points.
It makes me think you don't know what you want, especially using 2V OC heads.

·
Banned
2,833 Posts
IMO best bet, get a stroker setup for a 331 Boss 302 style engine. Then use the calculater in this website with the differenet chamber volumes and that'll give you your comp. I doubt with the smaller valves then a Boss 302's and a mild cam, piston-valve clearence will be an issue. But always check to be sure.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts