Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If the necessary block and head modifications are made. Can the fly cutting (piston notching for valve reliefs) tool from Isky cams be used with the cleveland head to make the valve reliefs needed in a flat top piston?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: bigpres20012001 on 11/7/06 6:00am ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: bigpres20012001 on 11/7/06 6:02am ]</font>

·
Registered
120 Posts
No. Not likely.
The piston forging will not have material in the right places.

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
I'm doing it in a set of dished pistons. I already ordered the 2.25 cutting head and the shaft. They are 1 week backordered. I'm using a small cam, only getting .586 lift on the intake with 1.73 rockers. I did some searching on my dished pistons. According to the specs list, my pistons start out as flat tops with a .350 deck thickness. The same piston with a 22cc volume dish has a .180 deck thickness if measures from the thinnest point, the bottom of the dish. My dished piston at the thickest point is .350 thick. I'm getting a piston valve clearance problem in the high part of the piston deck, but I won't be cutting deeper than the thinnest part of the deck thickness. So, for me, I don't see any issues, I'm just making my dish volume a little bigger.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts